Array

School
    Team AMMA

Opponent stands from dogfight

Basically the only game I have from bottom is half guard and the paths from there, therefore having spent a fair bit of time on it I'm pretty confident in my sweeps from there........until.

Was versus a super athletic guy in my comp yesterday and I got to dogfight 3 times but each time I got there he stood, leaving me with not much of anything. Now of course the first mistake I had was not having enough control to stop him standing BUT once he stood I'm guessing I'd want to keep a grip on the the trapped leg/foot and follow him up and take the single?

I haven't seen this scenario at all in MTS's and haven't dealt with it much in training. Looking for advice from other more senior half guard players please.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Family Fight Team Petrovaradin (Luta Livre)
    I actually like it when they try to stand up from dog fight, it gives me the option to wrestle with a pretty good single leg takedown setup.

I guess this won't really be the answer you would like, but just learn to wrestle. In my opinion, 90% of the problems with no-gi sweeps that experienced players have are due to their inability to wrestle and "follow through" with the sweep if need be. Just stand up with him and knock him down into side control. That teaches a lot of people no to just stand up like idiots without having a defensive tactic set up first.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    Single legs, this is a slightly different scenario but the principles are the same. Any time they raise their hips above yours they are vulnerable. They either try pull out and give the back, or whizzer and stomp setting up the roll under/plan b

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Thanks guys. Yes agree wrestling would help a lot.

The vid scenario is similar, just didn't have the far leg underhooked which allowed him to step back and base more, but agree concept is the same. Gotta be stronger with my waist grip and follow him up and take a single with the trapped leg I think.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    Assuming you play regular dogfight, you can cup the inside of his knee with your right hand as you're getting up, then insert your right butterfly behind his knee and curl your left leg, head position under the chin pressing into him (Bruno control). This would also make it more difficult for anyone trying to limp leg out.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Thanks mate.

Any vid of 'Bruno Control'? haven't heard of it before. Have seen the right butterfly behind the knee for the plan b sweep etc but cant picture the angle to have your head under his chin.

Is what sucks about essentially learning this stuff off a couple of MTS watches. Miss/forget the finer details.

Hating doing tech/drilling and only wanting to roll doesn't help either
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I would look up the knee tap, it should be super easy because you're so deep on the single.