Array

School
    home

Newbie with jiu jitsu

About 4 yrs ago I looked into jiu jitsu after watching clips of MMA fights. I looked in to the Gracie system since the lessons were online. I never really got started up since I wasn't committed.

After watching a few Joe Rogan interviews with Eddie Bravo and watching the match between Mr. Bravo and one of the Gracie brothers I became very interested in starting my learning process with the 10th Planet system.

I read another article about "how old is too old" to start. Well I'm 50 and am sparring with my 13 y.o. son trying to learn the 10th Planet Warm ups. I'm about as limber as a turtle but I figure what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

My plan is for my son and I to become proficient in the eight warm up series before trying to start with, say, learning the Rubber Guard. It seems like the warmups incorporate a few techniques that I will see in future lessons.

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    That's awesome man, study up and have fun with it. Never too old to get started and that's pretty cool you've got your son working with you on it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    super cool!
    just stay consistent and find a gym (the warmups can be tricky without detailed instruction), no need for prereqs to start training!
    I know texas is big, Beaumont anywhere near you?
    http://10thplanetbeaumontjiujitsumma.com/

Array

School
    home
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Norsen View Post
    super cool!
    just stay consistent and find a gym (the warmups can be tricky without detailed instruction), no need for prereqs to start training!
    I know texas is big, Beaumont anywhere near you?
    http://10thplanetbeaumontjiujitsumma.com/
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. My son and I just finished the Warmup A - Granby's and will keep working on it this week.
    Beaumont is about a 5 hour drive.
    I'm also trying to convince my 23 y.o. son to start up with the 10th Planet in Portland when he moves there in August.