Array

School
    10th planet Birmingham/ Elements MMA

possible meniscus tear?

hi everyone, a few weeks ago I was drilling the truck and rolling, I didn't feel my knee go or anything but later that day started getting pain, I went training once after (stand up) and it wasn't too bad, however after a week off not training due to transport problems it was getting worse, I visited a physio and he said I had loose knee's (which I took as a good thing) but also have fluid on it and he thinks a meniscus tear, he said id need scans to be sure. so after another week of rest its still no good but im itching to get back on the mat so im thinking of just giving it a go and seeing how it holds up........ have any of you had experience with this

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    A couple months ago I had all the signs of a meniscus tear (very limited range of motion and a lot of catching and pinching) but after an mri I found I just had a sack of fluid on the inside of the joint. Luckily I didn't need to have it drained after a week of anti inflammatories and some rest and ice. I know youre probably dying to get back on the mat but that's when you make injuries worse if your body isn't ready. Hope you heal up bro
    The Name is Nick Paul

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    I tore my left meniscus last year - felt a hell of a lot better the day after the surgery than the day before. If they have to operate, you just have to deal with the swelling/pain for a while. I was back on the mat in 4 weeks - overcompression of the joint hurt like hell while rolling a few times, but that cleared up after another 3 weeks or so.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pavlik View Post
    I tore my left meniscus last year - felt a hell of a lot better the day after the surgery than the day before. If they have to operate, you just have to deal with the swelling/pain for a while. I was back on the mat in 4 weeks - overcompression of the joint hurt like hell while rolling a few times, but that cleared up after another 3 weeks or so.
    Im hoping it wont need surgery, gonna try and see the physio again a and get a scan as its getting painfulish when i walk now. Hurts most when i twist my knee

i tore my meniscus a couple years ago (old football injury), i made the mistake of trying to rehab/treat the injury for waay to long, best bet is get in to see surgeon and get it cleaned up asap, minimal down time, and your knee will be good as new in 4-6 weeks

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    Two years ago, I tried to get into the truck once and sure pulled my knee. I didn't feel it because of adrenaline at the time. When I got home had a shower, watched a movie and decided time for bed. I stood up from the couch and my knee buckled. I crawled upstairs to bed. Next day I couldn't walk and had to go take a x-ray. Nothing was found. A week later, at this stage I could hardly walk, I did an MRI scan, they said nothing wrong. I took a powerful painkiller for a few days, but I was out for almost 6months. I bought a grappling dummy and did some yoga. Got back to gym in Dec 2014. I submitted a mate in January from the truck and he asked me to show him the move. While lacing my legs, he tried to explode out before I could secure my figure 4 and I heard a pop in the same knee. I was out another 3months. Came back in April. I still do it but with extreme caution now. Yoga has helped strengthen it but its more like 85% now. Don't think it'll ever be 100% again.

Array

School
    I haven't had any buckling of giving way luckily. I ended up goin the doctor, who to be honest didn't seem clued up and disagreed with the physio (i dont know which to trust more) but he is sending me for an mri, god knows the waiting time so im thinking if its too long im gonna try training next week. A light roll and see how it feels

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    I don't have a link offhand but I know there's been a few studies where meniscus surgeries didn't do well against placebo treatments. I'd definitely say work a good bit of PT and exhaust that option before letting anyone sell you on surgery.
    I was just talking to a few people about this a bit ago, what tips are there for keeping the knees safer in the truck? I sprained mine twice going for the crotch ripper from cuy (sp?) control where I went to step on the guys heel he was thrashing like crazy and it sprained the other knee. I've figured it out a bit but could always use more help with it.