Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet Stockholm (From 30/3/2016)

Help with input on the lockdown and how to sweep when using a GI (Whitebelt)

Hi guys!

My name is Mike and I a big fan of 10th planet JJ.

Started out with with BJJ at the age of 40 (Last year) and since I live in a remote area where there is no BJJ I never had the privilege of having a live instructor. Instead I have been using youtube and this site and just try to understand and imitate the movements. This is where I discovered the beauty of the lockdown, something that have made me feel quite safe when I end up on the bottom of my opponent. As a matter of fact I liked it so much that I decided to try it out in a GI tournament in Rio (Rio Summer open 2016).

My aim was to first get my opponent into the lockdown, but the problem comes when the opponent is heavy and I can't push him up and forward to get access to his left leg. I mean, I am trying, but he is heavy, and he posts with his hands and then sprawls, making it hard to sweep like when you get someone into the electric chair.

Here is a link for the video. Any help from you guys is extremely well appreciated!!!

Osss! Mike from Sweden

https://youtu.be/wLNb5BJUwxY

Lockdown starts at 02:42 into the video
    Last edited by Michael Mella; 03-22-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    Well..... First and foremost, you still won the match so well done. I roll with 2 mates who are about my weight and give me same problem, this is what I do. After securing the lockdown, I turn into them and push them from armpit towards their free leg (I know it sounds counterintuitive but bear with me). In this case, I would whip up and push him towards his left leg as if going for old school sweep, if he doesn't sprawl, I catch his feet and go for old school, if he sprawls like he was doing with you, that gives me a tiny space (and I noticed you got that space), but instead of pushing his right (posted) hand away with your left hand, I would forget that right hand of his and instead stick my left hand in his left armpit and stiff arm him to the electric chair side (your left side) while whipping up the legs to same side and instead of moving his whole body to get the position, as long as I have that little space, I move my body further into his left leg that I'm hooking with my right arm. It doesn't matter if he sprawls. If he's strong enough which I think he is, he would sit up (as if full front split) and lean back towards you so that you don't get his back, all you need do from there is grab him and twist the other way.

Watch Denny's left hand to opponent's left armpit here. Don't worry, you can do it even before you get him to the side while he's still on top

https://youtu.be/FxVBOBQq15U

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    make sure when you whip-up that you're not just using your arms to push. You can actually pick his hips up with your lockdown. That makes him much lighter, allowing you to move him to get onto your right side. (bend your knees when you whip up)

Remember there are a lot of paths out of the lockdown. You can half-full to closed guard, you can superstomp to butterfly, you can whip-up and old-school. You can get to your Electric Clinch and sweep to electric chair. You can even go straight to the back after a whip-up if he does not wizzer you. You want to have enough options that you can take advantage of your opponent's reactions to your first move.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 03-24-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Array

School
    10th planet L.A. Tapout
    Everyone will give you quarter guard. Give your opponent Quarter guard first, then transish to lockdown. Bump, Whip, uppercut duck.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Alternate Whip Up/Whip Down. Like the guy in the video was yelling, get off your back. Once you get the underhook on the same side as your lockdown things should open up for you, regardless of size. If you have the RG book it has tons of ideas, like the Godfather and the Stomps. Usually getting the good-side underhook is the battle for me.

Remember, Whipping UP takes you to Old School and Electric chair AND ALSO the Boa to Dogfight.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Master lockdown sweeps on little beginners first, then slowly work your way up
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Thank you Eddie! This is my main focus now and I think I just took a step in the right direction... namely; I just joined the Team Gringo 10th planet Stockholm!!!

Array

School
    Great feedback and thanks for answering! I am very thankful!! I will practise this until it works! The video was a great addition with (As you mentioned the importance of stiff handing the armpit) Also, the reversed arm triangle is a nice unexpected counter Thanks to guys like you, I feel very fortunate and happy to be a part of this community.

Array

School
    Thanks for you reply! I didn't even think about the same side underhook before this. I thought I needed both underhooks
    Very appreciated!

Array

School
    Thank you Craig! I am so grateful for all your comments, and I have since joined the 10th planet where I live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    make sure when you whip-up that you're not just using your arms to push. You can actually pick his hips up with your lockdown. That makes him much lighter, allowing you to move him to get onto your right side. (bend your knees when you whip up)

Remember there are a lot of paths out of the lockdown. You can half-full to closed guard, you can superstomp to butterfly, you can whip-up and old-school. You can get to your Electric Clinch and sweep to electric chair. You can even go straight to the back after a whip-up if he does not wizzer you. You want to have enough options that you can take advantage of your opponent's reactions to your first move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast