Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu

Rubber Guard in a club that doesn't study 10th planet

Hi all
    I'm wondering if there's any validity in the statement "shouldn't work on rubber guard for the first two, three years. You should work on framing and creating space"

Been training for a year and a half, I'm continually studying and adding new things, I've loved 10th planets game since the beginning, but I have to train myself in it because no one in my club knows 10th planet well. So I study, slowly add pieces, and was working meat hooks from New Jersey into the gogo clinch against a tough guy. Got the stink eye from my coaches, but I'm going to continue to work this stuff. Jiu Jitsu should be fun in my opinion and this is super fun stuff.

Mostly I'm venting.

Have a good one

Statement does not make sense to me personally. When they say "framing and creating space" I assume they mean bottom side control. The first thing I always teach a beginner is a basic full guard (also half guard). Why not develop a guard immediately so you don't end up in bottom side control in the first place?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Becasue people, instructors included, love to knock what they don't understand themselves.

And welcome to the forum!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu
    Thanks Chris. By the way, your knee bar instructionals, after months of practice on my part, are paying dividends. Love and appreciate very much the work you share

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Framing and space are very important because it gives you an opportunity to get to your spot. With that being said, you need a spot. Always build a guard game first. I'd work on escapes and pick a guard to focus on. Add from there. Rubber guard is wonderful but I'd start with the half guard game first.

Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu
    Sound advice. Thanks much

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Not matter what, you will have holes in your game. If you start with rubber guard early the chances of you mastering it increases big time. I say get those RG instincts firing early, you got time to fill in holes later. Mastering the warm ups asap is also a no-brainer
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    3 years of practicing framing? Hehe, yeah ok. I was doing RG from day one. I was spending half my time learning how to escape mount and the other half learning to clear the neck. Of course I'm still a whitebelt so this is proof of nothing, other than my opinion on the matter.

My guess is Herzog is right, your instructor doesn't know it and doesn't want to see you use it on his students. He won't know what to tell them when they ask how to defend it. He just would rather pretend it does not exist. That's most likely what's going on here.

Does you instructor each you triangles? Armbar from guard? If so, that's not framing... why not RG?

Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu
    I run a class on Saturday, every week. The focus is your warm ups. I think they're brilliant, and version three is an awesome upgrade. Nice work!

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Edmonds
    I love reading posts like this. My old school was like that, super close minded about RG and they thought it was very "advanced" for beginners. Obviously being on this forum and hearing from great BJJ minds like so many people here made me realize this cat I used to learn from was off his rocker. Keep up that RG!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast