Array

School
    Cooper's MMA

10P terminology in Spanish

Hola a todos, especialmente los soldados hispanohablantes de 10P!

So, I'm a fluent Spanish speaker and as a student of languages (German and Spanish) and living in Spain and I help some of my jiu jitsu buddies by translating internet tutorials and whatnot for them, especially since I'm the only one who is a native English speaker.

When I mention the 10P terminology in English though, the problem is that the sentiment behind the term is often hard to convey. For example, "lockdown" has no direct or particularly suitable equivalent term in Spanish, so I have to explain what it means and even then they may not entirely get it nor be able to respond to it if it was called out to them in competition of whatever. I have an advantage in that I do BJJ through Spanish so can respond to instructions in both and am familiar with BJJ terminology in both languages.

There are some things which translate okay-ish like "jaws of life" being "mandíbulas de vida" or "dog fight" being "pelea de perros" but at the same time translation is ideally but not often a direct, smooth process. "Whip up" and "Whip down" are pretty much impossible to translate as there is no equivalent verb. I say this because part of my degree has involved learning to translate correctly and precisely with the right connotations and so on, and I feel somewhat of a calling to help make both 10P and general BJJ instructional materials more available in the Spanish-speaking world. I'm by no means a fully qualified translator, but still.

For those who learn 10P in a different language, is it like how one would learn Japanese terms in judo and things like that? And for those who don't, what do the rest of you guys think? How can I best go about conveyinf the meaning and philosophy behind 10P terms and concepts in a non-native language?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Lockdown is el lowkdown. Whip up is el wheepop, it's easy
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I say we keep it english. The first foreign words anyone learns are the bad words. We should be like that. How cool would it be to hear someone in Prague say Invisible Collar or Douchebag.

Array

School
    Cooper's MMA
    Haha Spanglish it is then!