Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks

IBJJF rules clarification help

Looking for some help on IBJJF rules from someone who knows the rules well.

I'm wondering where they consider it to be a pass. Each of these positions are a little bit different and I want to know if they would consider it a pass if the exact position in each photo was maintained for the needed amount of time.

7cyneAv.jpg
    Kesa Gatame but the guy is turned into you.

Mx3pRft.jpg
    Side control, knee in the side fully passed opponents legs or knees, but they are turned into you and have an underhook. You however have them controlled here and have held the position for the needed time.

6VMqq79.jpg
    Same position as the last picture, but this time they don't have the underhook.

yc5FsO7.jpg
    Same position as the last picture, but you don't have your knee in. Both of your legs are planted out.

Attached image below = Kesa Gatame with their back flat to the mat.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ben Eddy; 04-11-2016 at 11:36 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    sexqC2q.jpg
    Turned away from you and you have your elbow in above their thigh controlling their hips.

q5P8QOW.jpg
    Same position as before but this time you have a cradle grip.

Array

School
    KMA Philippines
    7cyneAv.jpg = Pass
    Mx3pRft.jpg = If you have him controlled for 3 seconds it's a pass.
    Mx3pRft.jpg = Pass
    yc5FsO7.jpg = Control him for 3 seconds it's a pass.
    sexqC2q.jpg = Definitely a pass.
    q5P8QOW.jpg = Also definitely a pass.

Do note that you have to control your opponent for 3 seconds, pass his legs to be counted as a pass

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverdomingo View Post
    7cyneAv.jpg = Pass
    Mx3pRft.jpg = If you have him controlled for 3 seconds it's a pass.
    Mx3pRft.jpg = Pass
    yc5FsO7.jpg = Control him for 3 seconds it's a pass.
    sexqC2q.jpg = Definitely a pass.
    q5P8QOW.jpg = Also definitely a pass.

Do note that you have to control your opponent for 3 seconds, pass his legs to be counted as a pass
    How do you know? I just want to be 100% sure on whether or not they are passes.

I was pretty sure they were all passes if secured for the needed time, but others were convinced most of these were not going to be considered passes yet. Some thought an underhook was needed and or the back being flat to the mat.

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Barbara
    Honestly, I wouldn't bet/relly on it.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I would just not compete in anything ibjjf. Problem solved. YMMV

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    So Ben, my coach is a Ibjjf ref and the challenge with all of these are it depends on the refs opinion.... What I mean is if the bottom person is still actively attempting to reguard then most refs will only give an advantage until top person is clearly dominated and has back to mat for 3 seconds. Also without video it's difficult to say because if top person attemped take down then you only receive those points and no guard pass points only would get points for mount, knee on belly or back control. Basically it's all up to interpretation and every ref will be different unfortunately. Sorry there is nothing clear cut in an answer for you but that is IBJJF....

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    Also my coach and I will be at the Eddie Bravo seminar in San Mateo so if you want to bring the video he can go over them with you

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
    So Ben, my coach is a Ibjjf ref and the challenge with all of these are it depends on the refs opinion.... What I mean is if the bottom person is still actively attempting to reguard then most refs will only give an advantage until top person is clearly dominated and has back to mat for 3 seconds. Also without video it's difficult to say because if top person attemped take down then you only receive those points and no guard pass points only would get points for mount, knee on belly or back control. Basically it's all up to interpretation and every ref will be different unfortunately. Sorry there is nothing clear cut in an answer for you but that is IBJJF....
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
    Also my coach and I will be at the Eddie Bravo seminar in San Mateo so if you want to bring the video he can go over them with you
    Cool thanks. I'm down in Oceanside training with Geo these days so I won't be able to make it to that seminar.

Yea I'm saying would it be counted as a pass for each of these positions if they were successfully held for the needed three seconds? I'm not saying here is a pic of the scramble. I mean if the top guy had the position in each picture and controlled that exact position for the needed time. You said yes it would be if they controlled for three seconds, but you also said only if they had the back to the mat. I'm wondering specifically which it is. Do underhooks matter, do backs to the mat matter? Or do you just need to be past their knees / legs and then control for three.

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    Ben,

7cyncav-points awarded
    Mx3pr-advantage until bottom person is no longer appearing able to re guard
    6vmqq same as above
    Last 3 would all be points awarded.

Remember it also depends on how these positions were established prior to so meaning was it a take down attempt that got here or were they in a guard or pulled guard, also if u pull guard going backwards at all the. It's a takedown and no points awarded for a pass.
    Hopefully this info helps out. Also I'm hoping to train with u guys next month as I'm taking kid to legoland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast