Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

EBI rules in Polaris

Seriously, Polaris needs to use EBI rules... these draws are just terrible. A Perfect 8 Matches, 8 draws.

There has never been a draw in the history of EBI... why isn't everyone using this ruleset yet?

The last two fights were fun, Tonon is the man.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 04-02-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Seriously. And 20 minutes between matches is ridiculous. I love how during EBI I can barely squeeze in a bathroom break. Nonstop action.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Different concepts. EBI is a tournament so there must be a winner, while Polaris is all superfights. Not sure how sporting it would be to gift AJ Agazarm Jake Shields' back after being so thoroughly dominated the rest of the match. Would you really call him the winner if he happened to have the fastest escape time?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Guillotine View Post
    Different concepts. EBI is a tournament so there must be a winner, while Polaris is all superfights. Not sure how sporting it would be to gift AJ Agazarm Jake Shields' back after being so thoroughly dominated the rest of the match. Would you really call him the winner if he happened to have the fastest escape time?
    Ok that's a fair argument. I can see that potentially spoiling a dominant performance. Excellent answer. I think you just changed my opinion.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 04-02-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Ok that's a fair argument. I can see that potentially spoiling a dominant performance. Excellent answer. I think you just changed my opinion.
    Man changes other man's mind on the internet. This is a historic day!

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Guillotine View Post
    Man changes other man's mind on the internet. This is a historic day!
    There's flaws to literally every rule set you can think of aside from no time limit submission only (which could potentially be the least entertaining of all if it's too evenly matched). I can't believe I just saw a respectful internet debate resolved. Kudos to both of you.
    The Name is Nick Paul

Array

School
    RMNU / flowhouse bjj
    i don't know...
    i am willing to accept all the hate, but i'm not a big fan of EBI overtime rules.

so we had 8 draws, but we also had 8 very exciting matches which i absolutely loved watching. (perhaps it's just me, but i don't necessarily care about having an "official" winner at the end of each match. especially in a grappling competition). as a matter of fact, i think it leaves things more exciting for rematches and "what if?" questions.
    we all know and can tell who the dominant person was, in most cases... let's remember our favorite rematch of mr. bravo vs gracie.

why i don't really like the overtime rules?
    i don't think it proves much. we just saw two guys or ladies going at it from all sorts of angles, positions and transitions... if neither was able to submit, then so be it. why let the person take the back control and let them ride out the time (joe soto kind of did that, and i recall a bit of "hate" on the forums for that).
    also, the spiderweb position for the armbar favors a certain style of grappling. i would argue that not everyone is comfortable with having their arm wrapped around the leg.
    yes i know the the position, and i understand the purpose, but if you consider a grappler with a judo background or perhaps catch wrestling, they would be more comfortable having their preferred way to control the arm, without the leg control.

tl;dr

keep Polaris rules as is. draws aren't a a big deal, because the matches are still exciting and now we might want to see a couple of rematches. i'm not really into EBI overtimes rules in general.
    Last edited by vlad ko; 04-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad ko View Post
    they would be more comfortable having their preferred way to control the arm, without the leg control.
    I've seen guys start without hooking the leg. I'm not an expert but I think the guy on top can choose for himself if he wants to hook the leg.

Array

School
    RMNU / flowhouse bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    I've seen guys start without hooking the leg. I'm not an expert but I think the guy on top can choose for himself if he wants to hook the leg.
    if so, i stand corrected... i thought there was one match where the ref. asked the competitor to hook the leg. (i could be 100% wrong). well, other than that i still think overtime is not necessary, IMO. riding out the clock (as a tricky opponent would do), brings the point system back in some way during, perhaps, the most crucial moments of the match.

i will stand by my guns on this one a draw is a draw in sub-only event. if anything, it adds to future marketing opportunities for rematches and leaves us (as fans) wondering who'd truly win next time.

i'd love to see jake vs aj rematch... yeah the slapping got a little silly... but now i must see a submission there. the overtime rules would not satisfy my curiosity in this case

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad ko View Post
    if so, i stand corrected... i thought there was one match where the ref. asked the competitor to hook the leg. (i could be 100% wrong). well, other than that i still think overtime is not necessary, IMO. riding out the clock (as a tricky opponent would do), brings the point system back in some way during, perhaps, the most crucial moments of the match.

i will stand by my guns on this one a draw is a draw in sub-only event. if anything, it adds to future marketing opportunities for rematches and leaves us (as fans) wondering who'd truly win next time.

i'd love to see jake vs aj rematch... yeah the slapping got a little silly... but now i must see a submission there. the overtime rules would not satisfy my curiosity in this case
    I think I remember the match you are referring to. I interpreted it as the ref asking if they guy wanted to hook the leg (making sure he knew he was allowed to do that).

You can't really have draws in a tournament format, so for EBI you have to have some way to resolve the thing with a winner. The only options I can think of is to either use points or use judges decisions. Both of which would be far worse that the problems inherent in the EBI OT rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast