Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon/Ronin

First Tounament advice?

NAGA Chicago is coming up April 30. I think I'm going to compete there in the masters novice and the adult novice. I've never done a tourney. What should I expect? At 5'6" and 185lbs am I going to have trouble because I weigh too much for a short as I am? I'm in pretty good shape and can move fairly good but because of lifting weights all the time I'm pretty heavy for my height. I'm worried that's going to be a problem. What kind of skillset does a novice have? I'm not sure I've ever rolled with a "novice" seems like everybody I roll with are blue to brown belts or guys with over 5 years grappling experience. I never had a newbie to train with too much really. I just kinda jumped into the wolf pit and either had to learn hard and fast or get crushed all the time. (I still get crushed most of the time...cough cough... Gary Meek ) Is it dumb for me to even ask??

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    Go into it with the intent to learn and have fun, play your game and don't worry about everyone else. My first tournament everyone was half my age and 10lbs heavier so it is what it is when you compete. Its normal to be nervous, everyone is including top level guys so just understand they are feeling the exact same as you are.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Relax! It sounds so simple, but you will likely go out there like a spaz the first time.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    Relax! It sounds so simple, but you will likely go out there like a spaz the first time.
    I'll be trying really hard not to be the spazzy guy. Lol

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Talk with Gary about it the next time you get down to O'Fallon. You'll be fine. Win or lose, you will learn and get valuable experience.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I'm a blue belt and 39 years old---and while I've done a bunch training in BJJ and MMA never did a straight grappling comp until this year. I was in the masters intermediate and advanced no gi. I will tell you this---if you are already training with beasts---comp feels easy. I'm training with Josh Passini, John Mejia and Matt Paul---plus all the other Monsters in Chicago---there is never an easy round. So I found comp to be way easier than training. (I took gold in my division and tapped to a brown belt in advanced) Just be go in calm, you have been there before in training---and have fun, because its about personal growth and fun at the end of the day!

Last advice would be to tap. You are paying to compete---not getting paid to compete---not worth an injury and losing mat time.
    Visit http://www.fightchix.com get 15% off with 10P4LIFE

Keep your clinches tight and be aggressive. Any position is offensive if you have a tight clinch game

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by fightchixJake View Post
    I'm a blue belt and 39 years old---and while I've done a bunch training in BJJ and MMA never did a straight grappling comp until this year. I was in the masters intermediate and advanced no gi. I will tell you this---if you are already training with beasts---comp feels easy. I'm training with Josh Passini, John Mejia and Matt Paul---plus all the other Monsters in Chicago---there is never an easy round. So I found comp to be way easier than training. (I took gold in my division and tapped to a brown belt in advanced) Just be go in calm, you have been there before in training---and have fun, because its about personal growth and fun at the end of the day!

Last advice would be to tap. You are paying to compete---not getting paid to compete---not worth an injury and losing mat time.
    Thank you very much for that! I will file this away in my brain until comp time. I haven't actually gone through a curriculum so I've never trained with 0-6 month guys. The guys I train with have lots of experience and are very good teachers. I learn a lot from them every time I meet with them. Get folded up, learn what I done wrong and how to fix it and repeat. That's how my training has been. Hard and fast, I seem to catch on that way. I'm not expecting a win, but I AM expecting to come away with a plan for next time. And yes sir, you are right, I'm paying to compete not getting paid to compete, its not worth the injury. I don't want to get hurt just like I don't want to hurt anyone. But, I aint looking for a points win either.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Jake hit the nail on the head. You're already no doubt training with quality partners, so you're up to par if you're entertaining the thought to compete.

I would say, from my first tourney, is expect to gas. A 6 minute round will feel like 16 minutes. If you've done the work though, you'll be fine. Remember in novice, it'll be the first time for your opponent too, so he'll be just as nervous which is natural.

Be aggressive and go for the sub

Array

School
    Well I survived my first tourney. Got a couple second places(might as well been participation medals) One in masters one in adult. I was there, I fought hard, done my best, learned ALOT, repped our jiu jitsu, and I know exactly what I need to work on after watching the video. It all looks different from the sidelines. Huge thank you to gary meek for training me and Omar ocasio and Josh passini for cornering me. I'm ready to fix my problems and get back out there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast