Array

School
    Tasmania Martial Arts

What to develop first

Hey guys. I have a question regarding which areas of jiu jitsu to develop first.
    I have started doing more and more private classes but I often find myself struggling to decide what I want to focus on in the lesson. As I'm early on in training I have weaknesses everywhere that need to be developed. I have covered the basics of the traditional positions but now want to start working on an area of my game. Is it best to develop everything as I go or work on one area for a while before moving on?

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    Defense is my suggestion. Maintaining guard, not letting anyone pass your guard, escaping mount/side control/back, stuff like that.

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    Yeah defense. Escapes and when you need to tap or when you're about to need to tap.

Yeah Defense/Escapes would be really good. Also, if they can't pass your Guard then they can't get to Mount/Side Control/Back Mount. Working on Guard Retention, and Guard Attacks would be a good idea.

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Barbara
    Positional Awareness (balance/coordination/posture/postions)->Defense. You can't learn defense if you don't know when your in danger. Once you know positions, then you will at leats have point of reference for defense. There is a lot of techniques in jiu-jitsu, so it can definitely be overwhelming. Once, you know basic postions (whaetver basics are for you gym/style/desire), then you should start singling out techniques and focusing on those concepts for a time period.

Defense comes first naturally since everyone that has been training longer than you will be attacking. I'd say working on 'passing the guard' is a good start.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    A good theory on framing and how frikkin important it is. A couple money escapes from every position. 1 or two attacks from common positions. Maybe pop triangle from full guard or armbar from guard. Guard replacement from side control. Heisman escapes. Shrimping a ton. Basic mount escapes, Alcatraz.