Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Elite Team Paso Robles

10th Planet Hate is Strong

So I live about 190ish miles away from the closest 10th Planet and long story short I wanted to train in my home town Mon-Fri and then travel to the nearest 10th Planet (in San Fran) on the weekend to train there. I told the gym here in my home town (that I had trained at in high school before I left for the Marine Corps) and they told me they dont want me at their school "poaching techniques"

I dont want to say exactly what school, but has anybody else had to deal with something like this? How much hate have you gotten for 10th Planet love?

-Will Richison

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    So they're not going to let you pay to train at their school because on weekends you will be training somewhere else, and they think you'll show everyone their secret moves? Sounds like the kind of place you don't really need in your life, to be honest.

Array

School
    Elite Team Paso Robles
    Oh yeah dude and the crazy thing is, back in highschool I thought those guys at that gym were hot shit. This gym in my home town has almost a cult following, Its just crazy how dismissing they were. Like they had the holy grail at their gym and they dont want me stealing it.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    That's funny that you used the word "cult", because I was thinking of saying that same thing in my original post. Is there another gym in your city that you can train at?

Array

School
    Elite Team Paso Robles
    There are 2 Paragon gyms and a Carlson Gracie fight team just opened up but I want to train with 10th Planet. Im not a big fan of training in the Gi. And 10th Planet is the best for No Gi.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Richison View Post
    There are 2 Paragon gyms and a Carlson Gracie fight team just opened up but I want to train with 10th Planet. Im not a big fan of training in the Gi. And 10th Planet is the best for No Gi.
    I'd say work with Paragon. From the last I remember, Paragon has a friendly relationship with 10th planet. They're also more open to experimentation. And last I remember, they have a solid love of no gi. Gracie schools might be a bit more restrictive because they're old school JJ. It's a bit cultish, but it's also just cultural. Like old school Brazilian culture where cross training or going to a different school gives you the label of creonte.

Come to think of it, maybe it's not 10th planet hate and it's more about keeping their system and "secrets" "pure."
    Last edited by David Rosado; 05-18-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Yeah that's not 10p hate you're seeing. That's an instructor who is afraid he's not that good, doesn't want to learn new things, and is afraid he won't know how to deal with YOUR secret moves. (or wont be able to teach his other students how to defense your moves)

So basically if you roll in there and start tapping all the other whitebelts with some rubberguard, and he doesn't know shit about it, what is he going to say to the whitebelts when they ask what to do against you?

he just doesn't want to deal with that by learning the system a little bit.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 05-18-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Yeah that's not 10p hate you're seeing. That's an instructor who is afraid he's not that good, doesn't want to learn new things, and is afraid he won't know how to deal with YOUR secret moves. (or wont be able to teach his other students how to defense your moves)

So basically if you roll in there and start tapping all the other whitebelts with some rubberguard, and he doesn't know shit about it, what is he going to say to the whitebelts when they ask what to do against you?

he just doesn't want to deal with that by learning the system a little bit.
    That's a fair counterpoint. I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm just saying "maybe." It could be one or the other. Assuming everything is hate isn't helpful.

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Barbara
    Personally speaking, that is not an atmosphere I would want to be around. Especially in today's day and age of information, if you think your teaching some secret unknown technique and therefore, don't want anyone to "steal/share" it, than you are the definition of ignorant/misguided. And, honestly probably not that good. IMO, if ANY inscructor (no matter the affiliation and including my 10th planet family), frowned upon cross training, I wouldn't be apart of that gym.

Array

School
    Elite Team Paso Robles
    Thanks everyone for their opinions. I really appreciate it!

-Will Richison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast