Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Leverage Kuala Lumpur

Lockdown - I couldn't move much - please help me troubleshoot

Hi, everyone! I am a fan of the 10th Planet system and I like to play the Lockdown. Below is one of my recent matches. Very often, when I play the Lockdown, I find it difficult to move or sweep my opponent especially when they hold me tight and put all their weight on me. As there is no 10th Planet school in my country, can you please look at my video and help me troubleshoot and let me know what I did wrong or could have done better? All feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/MEmemLEbtsg

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Looks like you were only trying to hit the electric chair, one of the best lessons I learned is that you need to be able to flow between Lockdown, Butterfly, Dog Fight, etc. based on what your opponent is giving you

Array

School
    Ronin
    I am no expert but looks like you need to work on your whip up and whip down and working off your side not flat on your back and like Martin Harris said work multiple attacks. Maybe review the lock down flow chart it shows you most all of your options from the lock down.

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    All of us Ronins have been in that exact spot, you wanted that Electric Chair finish so bad you missed out on other opportunities. To get to the EC there are a couple things, first the whip up part could've been better and bringing his body more over you which would've helped with his good base and balance and secondly if you can swing your left arm through the other side when you had his leg and used a Heisman with the whip this would've possibly gotten you there. But more importantly start working on getting out to Dog Fight or using your butterfly's and getting your guard back or sweeps from there. Drilling those steps will help you a lot. Hope this helps.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    You wanna get really good at whipping your legs back and forth, and up and down. This is how you move him, but it's also how you move your own hips. The lack of hip mobility is the major criticism of the Lockdown. It's a valid one, if the only way you know to move your hips is the traditional shrimp movement. But if you can get a grasp of how to move your hips while you're attached to him you'll open up a whole new set of possibilities.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 06-04-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Leverage Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks for the advice guys! When my opponent smashes me and I am on my back, should I try to shift my hip to 1 side, so that 1 ass is slightly off the ground....in order to get more mobility?

Array

School
    Leverage Kuala Lumpur
    How do I improve my whip-up? If my opponents are bigger and stronger, and they squeeze me real tight, I find it difficult to whip-up and very often I get stuck in the Lockdown.

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    You need to use perfect double under hooks around the waist. Tightly ! Then whip up and down and around make him have to base with his ands or a hand on the mat. The moves your hips and shrimp to the side. Then attack.. Where you are he can keep you pinned.
    My real name is Bob Ritter and that is Mighty Mouse with me.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I've had very similar problems, usually against a really tight neck hug. My advice would be to aim for the perfect Electric Underhooks positioning, obviously, but if you can't achieve it then take note of what your opponent is doing to prevent it and react accordingly.

If you're being hit with a serious neck hug (like at 0:56 of your video), rotate onto your left hip and attack the 50 sweep. Also keep an eye out here for opportunities for the Apollo and a transition to the heel hook.

At 2:07 of your video, your opponent is just giving you a free Dogfight. He's even sitting on the leg that he's going to need for base, so that would be a prime time to pop up and hit him with a Half and Half / Knee Tap sweep.

Since I started incorporating Dogfight transitions into my game about a year ago, it's really increased my ability to sweep from bottom half since my opponent can't just defend the Electric Chair non-stop.

Also, of course keep an eye out for opportunities for:
    Stomp Transitions
    Full Guard recovery
    Back Takes (they don't have a whizzer in)
    Mechanic Sweeps
    COP Sweeps
    Butterfly sweeps to counter his Twister Pass attempts

If you haven't seen it, there was a thread on here a while back about Lucas Leite's half guard wizardry. Here's the link to part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0YIB2_A1Q

Good luck!
    Last edited by Charles Wilhelm; 06-04-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Reps, Reps, Reps... find a good partner to train with and rep the hell out of it. All good points above, the other thing I would add is that you don't seem in sync. Your movements should all work together like one entity. He posted the hand, preventing the roll, you've got to feel that and just know that the hand is there. When he moved the hand, you were flat on your back and didn't reset, still holding that under hook, back track and whip up again. Electric Chair has become so popular but you should check everything along the way. There were opportunities for dog fight and old school. The positives outweigh the negatives for sure. You got into position right away and your opponent was in survival mode. He never did anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast