Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy

Truck Against Bigger Opponent?

I never introduced myself, I'm Robbie Carter, I'm a white belt that has been training for about 8 months now, I train out of a GF Team Gym in Grove City, Ohio. I know I don't train at a 10P school (My gym is 5 minutes from my house, the nearest moon is an hour away), so I hope this isn't a taboo thing asking for advice, but I figured it was worth a shot.

So we have a couple guys at my gym that are big. Like 300-350lbs big. I don't mind rolling with them, and I try to roll with them at least once a week; they tend to go to the turtle position a lot and then just trap an arm and roll on top of you. I am able to prevent that but I'm not really sure the best way to attack the turtle because my legs aren't long enough to get around them to actually secure back mount.

So my question is: Would the truck position be beneficial against a larger opponent like this? If so, any tips or things that I should be looking to do/avoid?

If it's not an effective thing to be doing against bigger opponents, any recommendations as to attacking turtle on a larger opponent?

Array

School
    10WO
    First: be careful trying to roll someone into your truck if there is a huge size disparity. I say roll into the truck, because I can't see there base being bad enough for you to pull them into it, especially if they are usually Peterson rolling you (from bottom turtle, trapping arm that is draping over your hips and rolling partner over you to a pin/ twister side).

If you are going be hitting the twister roll on larger partners, your technique must be on point, both to actually work and to keep you safe; which brings me to my second point: Get to your nearest moon ASAP, an hour drive is *NOTHING*. No doubt in my mind that doing that is going to be your best bet in the long haul.

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Thanks! I guess I'll follow up with a question about going to the moon, is it considered acceptable to go train at a moon once or twice a month if I train primarily out of another gym that competes against them in some tournaments?

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Chad's right. An hour is nothing in comparison to the trek some people have to make. You can always talk to your instructor, and feel it out. Make contact with the moonhead and let them know you can only make it out on occasion, but you want to learn the 10P system.