Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10P Ronin

Rubber guard and control tips please?

Hi guys!

Hope someone can help?

I've been rolling the past month at my gym and pulling RG, it's going pretty well but recently, the guys i'm rolling with are easily at least 15kgs in weight above me; (I'm like only 62kgs) though I'm still able to pull RG after some struggle.

The thing is, controlling and trying to transition into something else; their weight and strength coupled with them resisting / struggling to get out makes it very hard.

Would like to ask if there are any vids or tips around where we're able to learn what to do when facing stronger and heavier opponents when we're in RG or on our back?

Appreciate it lots!

Array

School
    New Port Richey JJ/10P Ronin
    If you are a subscriber to the MTS, check out the Gogo Clinch Series on MTS 77, and MTS 78. Eddie mentions he uses this for controlling the bigger guys. I am starting to work this series too!

Array

School
    10P Ronin
    Thanks man~~ Appreciate it!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I would recommend transitioning into rubberguard from another guard late into the steps against huge guys. That is, if say you could go straight to kung fu from butterfly guard with an overhook, that is fantastic. Even just starting in new york is helpful, especially if you get to start with a little bit of the correct hip angle. I don't jump guard much anymore which means I'm almost always getting to rubberguard from somewhere else. Jumping ahead of the game in the transition will help you tons, I guarantee it.

Array

School
    10P Ronin
    That.. didnt cross my mind, transit from others guard and positions! Cool!

Thanks Brian, am gonna explore and try it out in various ways the next roll!

Appreciate that lots, thanks!!

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys like to do against someone who is really disciplined in keeping his elbows tucked?

Oftentimes, I can break posture, but my opponents elbows are tucked so tight that I can't get my foot where it belongs.

Is this a case of getting crappy mission control and making it perfect?

I'm a total RG noob

Array

School
    10P Ronin
    Had this problem initially too~ then i remembered how we always clinched during Muay Thai classes. so when i pull his head down towards me, its like in a muay thai clinch, makes it quite uncomfortable for him and normal reaction for my rolling partner will be to use either hands to try and release that.

There will be a moment when his elbows wont be in position to tuck in, that's where I usually go for it?

Not sure if this is the right way, but it kinda works though, for now at least.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys like to do against someone who is really disciplined in keeping his elbows tucked?

Oftentimes, I can break posture, but my opponents elbows are tucked so tight that I can't get my foot where it belongs.

I'm a total RG noob
    Any time anyone tucks their elbows in REAL TIGHT -> Dead Orchard FTW!
    (Unless you've got dwarf legs, that's the easiest finish you could possibly get from the RG.)

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post

I'm a total RG noob

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Find people so below your level that you can run rg clinics on them. Practice on that level then slowly work it on better opposition.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast