Array

School
    Isle of Wight BJJ (Team Mill Hill)

Game entry question

Hey all.
    Wondering about peoples game entries.
    Currently have favoured a 1/4 guard > mini stomp >lockdown half guard game.
    What are the best options if my goal is to get an overhook > new york (/chill dog if poss) / jersey from standing, asap ? Been playing with 2 on 1s to butterfly, and super stomps from half guard. What works best for you guys?
    Many thanks

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I've seen video of Eddie just transitioning straight from Pre-Stomp to New Jersey, so if you have that option, take it.
    You could work from your Lockdown entry, Stomp to Cocoon, attempt the JJ sweep and go to the Pyramid.
    From 1/4 guard you could run an E3 on them to a Re-Animator.
    From Lockdown with PDUs you can go to Homie Control and then the Re-Animator.
    You could also pull full guard and use a failed Hip Bump sweep to get the Free New York.
    Another option would be the Fake Headlock (page 172 of ARG), but this isn't from standing.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilhelm View Post
    You could also pull full guard and use a failed Hip Bump sweep to get the Free New York. .
    Yeah, sometimes you can even clear the neck for free like this. Hip Bump right to Chill Dog.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    A lot of people who know my lockdown game are either really cautious or super aggressive if I adopt a black mamba attitude since that's my A game. My 1/4 game is still a work in progress, but I love lockdown and am finding other ways to enter.

For people who try to bum rush me, I'm working on butterfly sweeps, x-guard, technical stands, and, as a last resort, granby rolls (in their haste, much of the time, their base isn't really perfect).

For everyone else, going orthodox half and threatening a kimura seems to force their hand a bit. They tend to put their knee on the ground to defend the kimura and try to flatten me out. That necessarily orients their leg (or allows me to orient myself) most of the time on a nice lockdown. Or, they base back and position their arms defensively (which makes getting to butterfly / x-guard a lot easier.

After that, it's just lockdown A game.

The kimura threat works really well for me if people are loop-stepping around my lockdown and posting on that leg. A little hip escape away, orthodox half, kimura threat is aligning them pretty well right now.

In the gi, collar drags are awesome.

Array

School
    Isle of Wight BJJ (Team Mill Hill)
    Excellent, thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    A lot of people who know my lockdown game are either really cautious or super aggressive if I adopt a black mamba attitude since that's my A game. My 1/4 game is still a work in progress, but I love lockdown and am finding other ways to enter.

For people who try to bum rush me, I'm working on butterfly sweeps, x-guard, technical stands, and, as a last resort, granby rolls (in their haste, much of the time, their base isn't really perfect).

For everyone else, going orthodox half and threatening a kimura seems to force their hand a bit. They tend to put their knee on the ground to defend the kimura and try to flatten me out. That necessarily orients their leg (or allows me to orient myself) most of the time on a nice lockdown. Or, they base back and position their arms defensively (which makes getting to butterfly / x-guard a lot easier.

After that, it's just lockdown A game.

The kimura threat works really well for me if people are loop-stepping around my lockdown and posting on that leg. A little hip escape away, orthodox half, kimura threat is aligning them pretty well right now.

In the gi, collar drags are awesome.
    Daaammnnn brotha! Somebody is paying attention! You've put some nice thought/love into your game, playa!

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Cooper View Post
    Daaammnnn brotha! Somebody is paying attention! You've put some nice thought/love into your game, playa!
    Holy crud, you're very kind. Hahaha...

I was hiking in the wilderness this weekend wondering if I'd made a fool of myself typing this. I never really know. But I figure it's always better to have my ignorance corrected by a brown belt than to remain ignorant and silent.

Thanks very much man. I don't see a lot of 10p folks in my area, so my style is a weird combination of old and new. Hopefully I can make it work.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I love the back step into the honey hole, enter into leg lock territory or pass > mount > underjack ����