Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider guard

Spider guard

IM at a new school , my previous school no longer affiliated to 10th planet .

Most of the training is gi stuff , but the guys from the old school who have moved on still speak and still are heavily 10th planet system reliant . esp lockdown and all those paths ....

There are 3 competitve brown belts at my new school all proficient at playing the spider guard .... this is giving me problems at the moment , is there any episode in mts that deals with countering the spider guard or any drills that anyone can recommend.

And secondly , i have been trying to play the spider guard , my intention being trying to figure it out ,any advice ideas , drills , sweeps setups etc would be appreciated

thanks and regards

Greg Ayres

Durban

South africa

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I think that you're going to be hard-pressed to find Spider Guard techniques / counters in MTS, unless Renato snuck them in somewhere. Good luck with your quest!

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Spider Guard requires sleeves grips, so you're not going to see that addressed in 10p since it's a gi-only guard.

Realize that the trick to spider guard is that the guy is using both his arms and both his legs to control your arms. As a result, your arms are going to be stuck. But also realize your legs are completely free, including in most cases your hips. So use your legs. When someone sets up spider on me my first reaction is to stomp on their thigh.

Good luck!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The only spider guard technique that I use that works Nogi is the full guard spider break featured in D1. Other than that it's pretty much impossible to play that guard nogi
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Travis Stevens has some good spider guard killers, most are on his DVD, but there's a couple floating around youtube. They work for me pretty darn consistently

Morning

Thanks very much for the replies esp eddie , ill dl the youtube clips and see how we can start to work those counters in on gi day

Regards

Greg

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Put your knees into their hamstrings and start walking them forward a little. Make sure you keep your posture and your weight back because there is a major risk of the overhead sweep. Try to keep your elbows on your ribs and eventually their feet are going to pop off your arms. Immediately go for the double unders pass before they can recover and you will pass 99% of the time.

We had a seminar at our gym with some of the GFT guys from Brazil and they showed us this technique to combat spider guard and it's all our gym uses now. We used to have quite a few spider guard players and they stopped entirely because their game got shut down.

Marcelo Garcia breaks spider guard by rotating his body to the side of the opponents leg that has the spider hook on your arm. He then stomps his foot on the opponent's armpit or bicep and rips his arm away to strip the grip. You then use your hand that's now free to strip the other side grip, the. Hide your arms and pass right away.

What happened? Why is your school no longer affiliated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast