Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    MTS

Advice/Suggestions for a 10p n00b

Hey Guys,

Firstly would just like to say I´m sure that this has been answered a ton of times but couldn´t see anywhere on here so apologies if im asking stuff thats already been answered.

My friends and I live in Barcelona and we really enjoy the 10th planet style. We recently bought some mats and have been training on my friends rooftop which is awesome. None of us are ranked/graded in any jiujitsu style but between us have been training in various places etc for a few years.

My question is really if anyone has any advice on how we can progress in the system even though we´re so far from a near by gym?

I appreciate it all sounds very amateur and I´m opening up myself for some criticism but we use the MTS videos and the "mastering the twister" DVD. Is there anyone else out there doing the same? I´d really like to try and get my blue belt in the long term. We´re picking up things from the videos but not sure if we´re getting it right etc. I don´t want to be a "youtube warrior" or whatever, I just want to get better and enjoy learning.

Sorry for the long post, just really wanting to learn more and develop but don´t know if i´m doing it the right way.

Thank you!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Welcome to the forum!

Best place to start is the 10th Planet Warm Ups. Then use mts and the other 10p resources to fill out your game.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Best place to start is the 10th Planet Warm Ups. Then use mts and the other 10p resources to fill out your game.
    In addition to this I would add making a point of attending 10thPlanet Training Camps or Seminars whenever possible. As someone who lives 3 hrs from a 10th Planet gym, I plan at least 1 Traincation per year where I travel to HQ/SoCal or a Training Camp on top of trips to the gym every 2 weeks.

Array

School
    MTS
    Thank you both for your welcome and for your advice, I´m looking to head up to 10p Amsterdam every few months to see if I can join their classes I´m hoping that will be OK with them.

Thanks again and if anyone reading all this is in Barcelona or nearby, please get in touch my friends and I are always looking for people to learn from/with.

Array

School
    Icon Jiu Jitsu
    I am also looking forward in visit 10p Amsterdam !!

Array

School
    Six Mma
    Hi I'm from an MMA gym in Toronto Ontario the closest affiliate is 1.5 hours away in peterborough Ontario and it's very far. I have been grappling since 2009. I use the lockdown everytime I roll. I was wondering how do I go about being evaluated to see if I'm good enough to be blue rank. Our gym doesn't have Jiu jitsu ranking. Thanks

I drill a lot of mastering the rubber guard on my open mat days. I do a lot of studying of it. I'm actually starting to hit submissions from it. I wish there was a 10th planet in New Jersey where I live. Hopefully a seminar comes around my way. Have a good one

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamrock View Post
    Hi I'm from an MMA gym in Toronto Ontario the closest affiliate is 1.5 hours away in peterborough Ontario and it's very far. I have been grappling since 2009. I use the lockdown everytime I roll. I was wondering how do I go about being evaluated to see if I'm good enough to be blue rank. Our gym doesn't have Jiu jitsu ranking. Thanks
    I live a 2.5 hours drive away in good road conditions and traffic from my closest 10thPlanet gym. I make the drive at least once every 2 weeks. If I lived as close as you do to a 10thPlanet black belt I would travel even more often. Don't worry about being evaluated for rank, just worry about being evaluated for technique. In general, people respect what you can do on the mats, more than your rank.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamrock View Post
    An hour and a half away is close enough to go there frequently enough to build a relationship and worry about ranking later. I spent a year traveling about that far three times a week. Gordon Ryan talks about how much time he spends traveling into NYC to train.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I wish there was a 10th planet in New Jersey where I live. Hopefully a seminar comes around my way. Have a good one
    How far are you from Woodbridge Nj? Chris HEndricks (high level purple under Zach and JM) runs a moon there, look him up on FB and the moon's page. I'd urge you to visit him as often as you can.

An hour and a half away is close enough to go there frequently enough to build a relationship and worry about ranking later. I spent a year traveling about that far three times a week.
    I live a 2.5 hours drive away in good road conditions and traffic from my closest 10thPlanet gym. I make the drive at least once every 2 weeks. If I lived as close as you do to a 10thPlanet black belt I would travel even more often.
    Ditto to both, I spent the better part of this past summer fall and early spring driving in the evening on Fridays to crash at a friend's (who also trains in CT) to visit Pat at Fairfield, and I try to visit Zach and JM quarterly (or so) in PA. Once you make the trip a few times (even alone) it becomes routine and you always feel better once you walk on the mats.

Enjoy and let folks know if you have any further questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast