Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    I've stopped trying to finish electric chairs *in training* for this reason. In competition you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand feeling bad about it tho.

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Champlin View Post
    I've stopped trying to finish electric chairs *in training* for this reason. In competition you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand feeling bad about it tho.
    I appreciate your insight as you have the nastiest lockdown of anyone who I have ever rolled with! Thanks!

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    I'm an old dude, 44 and I competed last year at th IBJJF No Gi Worlds and I did same thing. Lockdown to an electric chair and he tried powering through with his leg and I heard and felt it pop. He yelled and match was over and he kept trying to go and I felt horrible cause these injuries are hard to deal with at my age with a career and kids and as much as I love BJJ I have to do these other things first and with the time out of work and not playing with kids plus cost of surgery and everything sucks. It messed me up pretty bad knowing he got hurt like that but as my coach said we all assume a risk when we step on the mat....

Why do you do that 'slap the mat' thing when standing (I saw you do it the last match you posted also)? I assume it's some trick to bait the opponent into a guillotine? Not sure you need to resort to something so awkward if that's your goal. You should legitimately work on your ankle pick and low singles to get your opponent to actually feel threatened by a low attack, such that he lowers his head for real. Worst comes to worse you can transition a failed shot directly into the half guard pull, or into a leg attack. It just seems like your current tactic gives off strong body language to your opponent that you're setting him up for something, and your wide open posture is leaving you vulnerable to a guard pass as soon as you go to the ground.

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Guillotine View Post
    Why do you do that 'slap the mat' thing when standing (I saw you do it the last match you posted also)? I assume it's some trick to bait the opponent into a guillotine? Not sure you need to resort to something so awkward if that's your goal. You should legitimately work on your ankle pick and low singles to get your opponent to actually feel threatened by a low attack, such that he lowers his head for real. Worst comes to worse you can transition a failed shot directly into the half guard pull, or into a leg attack. It just seems like your current tactic gives off strong body language to your opponent that you're setting him up for something, and your wide open posture is leaving you vulnerable to a guard pass as soon as you go to the ground.

Yeah it's just something I do to get my opponents thinking. You're right I have a million things I need to work on. Constant improvement and progress is the name of the game!
    Thanks Princess!

I would say the biggest thing you should work on is taking a more aggressive posture. One thing I noticed from your matches is that even when your opponents do what you want, you're coming from so far away across your own body to lock the guillotine that they're able to see it coming and slip their head out, or just take you down and power through it. The wide open posture also puts so much weight on one foot that it negates your ability to counter a takedown with a submission attempt or guard pull, since by the time you regain your balance you'll already be on the mat and scrambling to get back to a neutral position. Check out Kron Gracie or even Denny, who will both basically walk their opponents down with their elbows folded, forcing the opponent into either shooting an easily countered double leg or cowardly retreating.

Kron Gracie vs. Otavio Sousa:
    https://youtu.be/FoLYF_lOwrw?t=14m20s

Denny vs. Nam Phan:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPq5XrpSRnw

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Guillotine View Post
    I would say the biggest thing you should work on is taking a more aggressive posture. One thing I noticed from your matches is that even when your opponents do what you want, you're coming from so far away across your own body to lock the guillotine that they're able to see it coming and slip their head out, or just take you down and power through it. The wide open posture also puts so much weight on one foot that it negates your ability to counter a takedown with a submission attempt or guard pull, since by the time you regain your balance you'll already be on the mat and scrambling to get back to a neutral position. Check out Kron Gracie or even Denny, who will both basically walk their opponents down with their elbows folded, forcing the opponent into either shooting an easily countered double leg or cowardly retreating.

Kron Gracie vs. Otavio Sousa:
    https://youtu.be/FoLYF_lOwrw?t=14m20s

Denny vs. Nam Phan:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPq5XrpSRnw

Thank you!

Array

School
    10th planet Omaha
    Last tourney I went to a guy had me in lock down and torn my meniscus sucks but I learned lesson from it!!! I don't blame him but if I did it to someone else I'd feel bad to, I guess lockdown is bad ass so remember this when in training and hopefully next time I can address the lockdown before it tears my knee again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12