Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

question about 12-6 elbows..

Ok, i know they are said to be banned bc of a demonstration someone saw of people breaking ice and bricks that way or something.. (actually i only ever hear joe talk about it so i dont really know, but i trust him). but in my head.. 12 to 6 elbows logically do seem MUCH more dangerous to me.. #1 just the simple physics of the angles. A glancing/angled elbow wouldnt seem nearly as bad as a blow delivered straight down on the point of your elbow. And #2 i know joe says its no more powerful than the others.. but it seems like you have the ability to use a LOT more core strength doing 12-6 elbows.. i dont know thats just my thoughts.. anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? (and btw i feel i should mention.. although i do think 12-6 elbows are likely to create more damage, i dont think they should be illegal. bc i dont think were talking life/death damage, i was just thinking bigger gashes/cuts)

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Don't forget about the deadly ice shattering 9 to 3 karate chops.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    12-6 elbows to the top off the skulls could possibly focus the energy of the strike to the point of the elbow and fracture the sutures (6 total I believe)in the skull causing fragments of bone and or exceess pressure on the brain itself. Possible brain damage or potential death could occur. Not sure if this is the reason but it is a possiblity. I dont remember fighters getting worned unless it was to the spine, neck, or head. Might be wrong but my 2 pennies.

12-6 isnt stronger than an arcing elbow, and is probably a bit weaker. Now, if you were talking a from a standing position to smashing on a kneeling opponent (Orlando Weit style) that is a powerful shot, but no more than if you did the same thing from standing with an arcing elbow.

I guess its good the official who felt that elbow was too dangerous never saw all the guys doing similar breaks with the arcing elbow, where you can also put rotation into a shot as well as gravity. The 12-6 also runs a better risk of you actually hurting your elbow should you hit dead on with it, but that is not really a factor.

Both will hurt you, or cut you to ribbons, but neither is really "more dangerous" at all.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    there not allowed in most muay thai matches ether because there is a move where you jump up and land a 12 to 6 elbow to the top of there head that was causing brain damage and death to fighters.

I'm actually not being a dick here, but I would love to see some actual accounts of that happening!

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    there not allowed in most muay thai matches ether because there is a move where you jump up and land a 12 to 6 elbow to the top of there head that was causing brain damage and death to fighters.
    Brain damage, as in wrecking the skull, or causing a neck/base of the brain issue (from hitting the back of the head at the brain stem). Because I dont think it is so much how hard that elbow would hit, rather than where its going to hit often (back of the head/base of the skull).

Array

School
    Rōnin
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Brain damage, as in wrecking the skull, or causing a neck/base of the brain issue (from hitting the back of the head at the brain stem). Because I dont think it is so much how hard that elbow would hit, rather than where its going to hit often (back of the head/base of the skull).
    i hope this answers your question

I dont buy it breaking the skull, not consistently, but I could definitely seeing it causing a neck/spine injury, since the impact would be exactly the same as spearing a guy in a football game. Main reason I say this, I simply dont see it having more impact on the head than knees from a good clinch.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    ya it is probably band because of neck injures and if the guy leans forward hitting him in the back of the head, not skull fractures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast