Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wears cups?

Array

School
    Elite Team Paso Robles

Who wears cups?

Ive noticed Ive been getting clipped in the bells a lot lately and was wondering how many people wear cups for grapling?

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Always.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    Integrated MMA Brisbane, Australia
    After one too many very close calls, I invested in a cup. Definitely a smart choice!

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I had always planned on a cup when I started but hadn't gotten around to it for a few weeks, then the 3rd week someone knee slice passed me and came "pretty close" and I brought a cup that week. Since then I always wear a cup, maybe have forgotten it a handful and spent the whole time rolling terrified lol.

So I completely agree I always wear a cup. How do you guys deal with IBJJF tournaments or tournaments that follow that rule set of no cup? Wear one anyway? Don't do those tourneys? I did one earlier this year and didn't wear a cup, and couldn't grapple like I normally would...

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I don't use one. It interferes, sometimes, not having it, but it forces me to do my armlocks properly. =P

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I have a student that lost a testicle at another gym while not wearing one. Have fun "perfecting" your armlocks and competing in dumb tournaments with archaic rules, I'll wear my cup thanks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I used to always wear a cup especially with a mma training mindset. Then I started training for some jiu-jitsu rule sets that don't allow cups so I trained without one. I still wear an athletic supporter though. Sometimes the circle/ring bruise a cup causes is worse than just toughening your nuts up. If I was entering a mma competition I would train with the cup to get used to it being there again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I have a student that lost a testicle at another gym while not wearing one. Have fun "perfecting" your armlocks and competing in dumb tournaments with archaic rules, I'll wear my cup thanks.
    Your condescension, Barncat, is noted and appreciated, as always

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by William Schrimsher View Post
    Your condescension, Barncat, is noted and appreciated, as always
    Lol, yeah, I guess it was In my defense, I said the same thing but nicer the first couple dozen times it came up here and on Facebook. Its an important safety issue that is disregarded some times in favor of tradition. Its frustrating to me to have to repeatedly defend an argument like. Just as bad as the gi vs nogi argument only getting peoples nuts destroyed also.

P.S. In the interest of not wasting a perfectly good condescending vibe, I'll close with some other low blow for you. Lets see. Oh, here's a good one. Ahem.

Your coach BMAC doesn't roll without a cup pretty much ever, ask him if he was able to perfect his armbars enough to catch you

Have a great one buddy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast