Array

School
    KJJ

Apollo turns into a neck crank?

Hi guys, recently I've been catching the Apollo but there's a problem - 80% of the people who've tapped say it's because they felt the back of their neck being smashed by my forearm (and there wasn't any choke).

Anyone with tips on what could be wrong, and how to fix it? (I'd much prefer to finish the Apollo as a choke than a crank.)

Thanks in advance!

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by mountveggie View Post
    I've been catching the Apollo but there's a problem - 80% of the people who've tapped say it's because they felt the back of their neck being smashed by my forearm
    You forgot to say what the problem was.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Trigo View Post
    You forgot to say what the problem was.
    Haha, the problem is I don't wanna crank guys' necks at the gym, when the choke is an option.
    (Obviously not a problem is competitions, I'd just prefer for it not to happen in the gym.)

There's obviously a problem with my technique cuz the apollo's supposed to be a choke, yeah? I've been watching apollo vids and for the life of me, can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Hard to say without watching you perform it live. Maybe ask one of your friendlier partners to play uke for a bit and see if he can help you adjust it until it's right.

I get your sentiment that you don't want to be "that guy" who cranks, but hey, at least you're getting the position and getting the tap. Even IBJJF allows chokes that crank as long as they're not pure cranks. So for competition purposes, you're doing well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    I sometimes find it a slower choke and people will tap to the pain before the blood cuts off. A lot off different ways to do it. My instructor(Louis Ho) will do a bit off a crunch as he does it. I do the complete opposite and stretch out trying to extend the neck.

As it is an arm triangle you do always have to remember to pressure in on the arm you have trapped, to cut the blood off on that side. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job already, just keep getting reps in and fine tuning it.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Thanks guys, MikeW those options sound interesting. Will try crunching + stretching out and see how either or both help. Appreciate the tips!

I have a lot of success with the apollo. I have caught it more than any other sub in comp in my arsenal.

I find that moving my lockdown as far sideways as I can away from the arm I have trapped, so that I am on my side and then as I squeeze I twist down and in while staying eye to eye.

If their trapped shoulder isn't being driven into the side of their neck then it's always going to at least partially be a neck crank. That may not be a problem for you. But with all styles of leg triangles or arm triangles it's not the trapped arm that's important. It's the trapped shoulder. You should be able to triangle someone with your arms or legs if their arm was cut off several inches above the elbow.

So without seeing the Apollo I would say to think the next time you try it, about where their trapped shoulder is in relation to that side of their neck. If it's not being dropped into the side of their neck with your own shoulder or chest, then it's going to neck crank a bit.

Also anytime you have a classic arm triangle (side choke style) and you lock a figure four/rnc grip, it's going to have a higher chance of turning into a crank.

This video should help a lot to explain the idea of just using no strength and relaxing your body into the classic arm triangle finish.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Kevin, Mike - Awesome details, thanks! Gonna take note of those points and keep tweaking/testing/trying it out.

Kevin - I've never thought about getting on my side, have been finishing it flat on my back in most cases - that may just be the very thing I'm getting wrong. Thanks again, great stuff.