Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As others have said, it's important to realize that leglocks are just like any other submission in that you always want POSITION before submission.

There's a misconception that leglocks are some sneaky devilry and that they'll seemingly appear out of nowhere most of the time... this is not the right way to think. Instead, leglock positions need to be understood in the same way as side control, mount, etc.

For example, the 411 is a highly effective control position that will lead to a leg submission. However, the control is most important. Just as you wouldn't move into an attack the second you reach the mount, you should wait and hold the 411 position for a few moments before you attack for a leglock. If you're unable to hold the position, you're doing something wrong.

Understand the different positions that will lead to a leglock. Namely the 411, game-over, ashi-garami in all its forms, and a few others. As others said, the x-guard/single-leg-x are extremely important for developing your leglocks from the bottom.

If there's an experienced leglocker in your area, I highly recommend you take some privates Privates with my coach helped a lot.

Array

School
    Memphis Judo and Jiu Jitsu

New development:

Now that I have been getting more taps with heelhooks I'm beginning to have to deal with intense spins. Even getting into something as basic as Ashi people spin and retract as hard a possible before I even set up the sub and rolling/following with it doesn't seem to be the best answer. Gotta be an easier way. Thanks Guys!

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    You are missing hip connection in your positioning. They shouldn't be able to roll at all

Array

School

time to expand

Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    You are missing hip connection in your positioning. They shouldn't be able to roll at all
    Thx. A month of hip focus and I fixed that problem. For those following this just consistently hold the heel hook and watch the persons rotations and see what positions they force themselves into (ex. 50/50, DOA . . . ) and even rotations become simple. Eventually, things tighten up and you start seeing control. Strangely, I still feel ashi is my more favored position even though i know there are more dominant entanglements. Is this normal?

New Question Leglockers: Where is that High Percentage at!!!
    Should I expand into Mini X's (ep. 114 Tentacle), The Truck (Geo, Justin Raider), or half guard inversion (Eric Ramey/Manny Gamburyan)? I'm looking to lean on your experience and try to get a feel where to place my chips. Thx in advance.
    Last edited by khrys; 12-18-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Array

School
    Focus on maintaining inside control. Any position that gives up inside control is going to be more dangerous and lower percentage than the ones that do not. Butterfly, kguard, double x, butter half, pancake, things like that. There are alot of fancy things you can try, but to gain those crucial last few percentages at the high levels, you will need to trim the fat a bit.

Array

School
    Absoluto Fighting Center
    Hello. I am very interested in this topic as well, if I may post my leg game development and ask for some tips as well, as I think it may help others in the same endeavour.

I also want to mention that I am completely new to 10th planet terminology.

Started working my foot lock game around two to three months ago and have been progressing very well.

My leg locking gameplan is revolving around getting the honey hole position as I found it to be very strong and finishing with a heel hook. I link it up with single leg x and x guard if they get up and shin on shin (if they pass standing), butterfly and half guard (if they pass kneeling).

A couple of issues I'm facing :

1. Entries from half guard. So far I've only managed to find one good entry from half guard to leg locking. The leg that acts as knee shield comes as a butterfly hook while the other leg gets as deep as possible beneath the opponent and I bump him up with the bottom leg and butterfly him with the other then getting into ashi. Does anyone have other good entries from half guard?

2. Digging for the footlock in 4-11. When I get to 4-11 if for some reason I want to get the footlock, I have a very hard time digging my arm around that foot.

3. Escaping the reaper. Whenever I move the leg from 4-11 across the other side and move to the reaper, the opponent can rotate out of it and escape. 4-11 is much better control-wise for me. Any ideas?

4. Ashi garami pushing escape. I'm recently having issues with this small but strong guy. Whenever I go for ashi, he pushes me in the a** with the other leg and manages to pull his leg out eventually. Him having really small legs is making this even harder for me.

I also wanted to ask you guys, what are your most high percentage entries to leg locks? Cheers.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielnbjj View Post
    Hello. I am very interested in this topic as well, if I may post my leg game development and ask for some tips as well, as I think it may help others in the same endeavour.

1. Entries from half guard. So far I've only managed to find one good entry from half guard to leg locking. The leg that acts as knee shield comes as a butterfly hook while the other leg gets as deep as possible beneath the opponent and I bump him up with the bottom leg and butterfly him with the other then getting into ashi. Does anyone have other good entries from half guard?

2. Digging for the footlock in 4-11. When I get to 4-11 if for some reason I want to get the footlock, I have a very hard time digging my arm around that foot.

3. Escaping the reaper. Whenever I move the leg from 4-11 across the other side and move to the reaper, the opponent can rotate out of it and escape. 4-11 is much better control-wise for me. Any ideas?

4. Ashi garami pushing escape. I'm recently having issues with this small but strong guy. Whenever I go for ashi, he pushes me in the a** with the other leg and manages to pull his leg out eventually. Him having really small legs is making this even harder for me.

I also wanted to ask you guys, what are your most high percentage entries to leg locks? Cheers.
    1. There is a top half entry that is very sneaky on the lock up your legs episode. You windshield wiper the free leg inside use the trapped leg to set up ashi directly into a heelhook.

2. Are you controlling both legs? Should be a lot easier.

3. The reaper has a predetermined escape path, meaning, if you are doing Zog's reaper correctly the oppo. can only spin 1 direction ( if he makes it that far) and it lands him into a more controlled break. Watch the video again, maybe you're not catching the second leg with your hook and its allowing an escape instead of just a rotation. Would have to see it but definitely watch it again, very high %.

4. I know your pain! Invest in a cup cause those kicks just keep coming. Also, start grabbing both legs switching your ashi from side to side when you feel that looseness. That drill helps me the most and I actually just won a match with it.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by khrys; 12-19-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Array

School
    Absoluto Fighting Center
    1. LE: I know that one, was actually reffering from entries from the bottom half guard. Any ideas?
    2. Whenever I went into 4-11 I only started attacking the tangled up leg. Will start trying to attack the other leg as well as I never went too much into that, only when he gave it away freely.
    3. Will look into Zog's reaper. The detail I've noticed is when I'm in the reaper, If I'm controlling the other leg (not the reaped one) with my hands, I can nullify any of his rotation attempts.
    4. It's not that he hits my b*lls or anything, but he literally pushes in my butt and frees his leg, which is made even easier by his short legs (basically clearing the knee faster). You recommend going for the untangled leg the instant I reach ashi garami?

Cheers. Hope this discussions help other people too.
    Last edited by gabrielnbjj; 12-21-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Array

School
    Alot of what you guys are experiencing is a breakdown in fundamental control of the positions. Look into what is actually happening in those entanglements and how all the parts work. Sweep>pin>isolate>break...or pin>isolate>break.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielnbjj View Post
    3. Will look into Zog's reaper. The detail I've noticed is when I'm in the reaper, If I'm controlling the other leg (not the reaped one) with my hands, I can nullify any of his rotation attempts.

Cheers. Hope this discussions help other people too.
    Go to the knee knot. There are several positions when reaping, the reaper is NOT a position, its an entry.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast