View Poll Results: Strategy or Sensory

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to have a plan and stick with it as much as possible.

3 16.67%
  • I go in and feel it out first, then I have my go to from wherever we end up.

15 83.33%
    Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL

Jiu Jitsu is like chess???

There's no doubt that Jiu Jitsu is a lot like a chess match. There's only two opponents, multiple weapons in their arsenal, multiple ways to win, and strategy is key to success. My question is, do you have a strategy going in or do you feel your way through the match and develop strategy along the way based on your opponent? Understanding that most people have their favorite entries or set ups, but how hard do you set yourself to your set strategy?

Do you find yourself in the camp that a strategy is the only way to enter a match? Do you find that everyone has a plan until they're punched in the face concept? Or somewhere in between. Interested to see where folks are mentally when they roll.

Array

School
    10WO
    I find the more I focus on only one thing, the more opportunities I miss out on. Any mistake can lead you down a road that ends in a tap, it is our job to not ignore those mistakes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Lately I have been starting with looking for something specific but altering course if it's not there. Like you said Gary, I have certain places I like to get to for entries and setups that I use as my launch pad and then see where things go.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Both. Strategy but with the mental flexibility to alter or abandon it
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Jiu Jitsu is like Go. I'd say that fits it better.

Strategy and tactics are important, but so is adaptability. It can be simple and basic, but complex and creative aswell, especially on a high level.

In chess, each player takes turns. In JJ, the two players can make moves at the same time, and one player can make multiple moves before the opponent has had a chance to react.

Not quite like chess.

When I roll I might pursue one path but depending on obstacles, opponent reactions etc I might flow to a different strategy.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    I've always likened Jiu Jitsu to driving. Getting from point A to B. Everyone has a common path or two or three they like to take, but every now and then, there's construction or traffic that forces you to take an alternate path. It's our responsibility to know as many ways or alternate routes as possible to achieve our objective.

I have rolled with black belts that treat it differently, and differently probably from day to day. Sometimes they waste no energy and play exactly like you would expect a chess situation, move for move. Other times they play more of a standing pace, which is a huge reason why I think everyone should be wrestling.

In standing pace style play, there are less moves but you are trying to trick your opponent into letting you have 2 moves to their 1, getting further down the line. When standing, you have to play this pace or you will get wrecked, having this gear will change your game on the ground too and open up a lot of opportunities that a more balanced opponent would not have given up. Learn to off balance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I try not to waver from the ideas that I generally believe to be true, but I want to counter-fight at the same time. So in a way I guess I'm doggedly committed to doing things in a certain way, but I'm not committed to doing certain things.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    For comp, I always have had a very specific set of positions I am trying to reach and a very specific set of movements I prefer from there. In fact, that's what I would credit my early comp successes too. I don't always roll that way in class, but in comp, early on in my career, it was reach those positions or die for me. Most of my skill was concentrated into those area's so I could beat someone "better" than me if I got there and could loose to someone "worse" if I did not.

I always said I was better at "competing" than I was at over all jiu-jitsu (total knowledge) for that reason. That said, over the last few years, I have spent a considerable amount of time diversifying and I would say I can even "counter grapple" with a good competitor now. That would only be something I would do in comp if I couldn't implement my strategy though.