Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix

Student of the arts

I have been making it a point to dedicate more time off the mats to study Jiu Jitsu through books, videos and dvds to supplament training. I feel its something I have been neglecting.

What are some videos, books, dvds, youtube pages or anything that helped you push through to the next plateau with noticable gains?

Array

School
    Sportschule Kaminari, future 10th Planet Düsseldorf
    Before I started MTS (wich was the tool i was looking for to learn techniques and get an idea of a whole system) my primary source was youtube. I have found like 50 YT channels, many of them show Gi-techs, of course. After discovering 10th Planet and deciding to dedicate to the system, MTS and the enlisted videos in the Technique Guide got my number one source.
    I have access to the gracie Combatatives programm and once a month they give out one lesson out of the purple belt track. These lessons are pretty nice, many details and always focussing on the basics, but i would not pay a cent for these videos, they are ridicoulusly expensive.
    A friend borrowed me a book from saulo ribeiro, its called "Jiu-Jitsu University" i think, it covers many techniques, starting with fundamentals for the white belts up to stuff for the blackbelts. But, nothing that boosted my performance.

So for me, the source which gave me the strongest push was MTS, without beeing a bootlicker. If you want to be good at 10th Planet JJ, i would say you have to study that system. I think nothing beats training, drilling and work on specific techniques or submissions in sparring, but to supplement this the 10th Planet books, DVD's and MTS should do the trick.

If you want to i can copy the list of YT-channels, but the amount of content is overwhelming and also not sorted in any kind.

Watching big tournaments is a nice thing to do, so you get an idea of how these fighters approach a fight and on wich techs they focus. Watching yourself roll is also a good tool, so after the session you can see your mistakes and the things you're good at, of course.

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    Dude, MTS is about all you should need.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Eddie v. Royler Metamoris three. Rewatch then rewatch again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Eddie v. Royler Metamoris three. Rewatch then rewatch again.
    I watch it with the Eddie comentary weekly, I have not been in the 10th planet system for very long and that one match has helped me in so many ways in understanding the dynamics of a strong lockdown, underhooks and confidence on bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Jones View Post
    Dude, MTS is about all you should need.
    I agree, but im open to all I can absorb.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Its all about MTS for me now. Ive found myself watching certain techniques over and over and over. At first I'll have to force them into rolls but later they pop up organically. Ive watched Mick do this for years and its certainly enhanced his game, he got his brown belt off Eddie this year which shows it can be done even without the benefit of being in constant contact with 10p black belts. Mick's done all of this from following MTS and training with his guys. I dont know of another jiu jitsu system that can provide what MTS can

Array

School
    Ronin
    For me MTS and Gracie Combatives are my base. What is great about both of them is that both Eddie and Rener like to talk which make the lessons very detailed and you can actually just listen to it without necessarily watching it and still absorb a lot. I will sometimes just listen to MTS episodes that I've already watched while driving the car. Like others I also watch a number of YouTube channels and competition footage however, I don't find myself studying these very often but mainly watching them for entertainment purposes. All these combined can be definitely an information overload.

I highly recommend you find a good drill and partner and learn all the warm-ups also drilled the techniques you see in MTS. Additionally training with a specific purpose keeping in mind your short and long-term, understanding your weaknesses and drilling them as well. Hope this helps.

Honestly, it all depends on what you are interested in learning, I see a lot of people on here commenting Gracie Combatives. While its not a bad program to learn, if you are a blue belt, there is a good chance you will know most of the techniques in that system, as they are the most basic BJJ techniques. Although, I will say, if you have have no experience in actual COMBATIVE Jiu Jitsu, and want to start learning that its not a bad place to start.

In terms of DVDs, the only issue with them is that most of them are fairly expensive. Eddie's Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD (if you don't already have it) covers a lot of material (Half Guard, Butterfly Guard, X Guard, Rubber Guard, and Spider web), and I would highly recommend picking it up, the half guard portion in itself, broke me through one of my biggest plateau's, when I was a blue belt.. And I still am using all of it to this day...

In terms of online resources, aside from MTS, the only other one that I use is MGinaction (Marcelo Garcia). Although I have subscribed to other sites, these two are the best.

Array

School
    Springfield BJJ
    I recommend you get very specific in what it is you want to learn. Jiu Jitsu is a huge ocean. Are you focused especially on mindset? A particular guard pass? etc. You can get lost in breadth of knowledge very easy.

Here is a blog post I wrote a while back about using YouTube to improve your Jiu Jitsu. There are lots of others there too about mindset, strategy, and game planning for tournaments.

MTS rocks. BJJ Scout's YouTube channel will instantly make your BJJ better. The Fighter's Mind is an awesome book on different mentalities.

Good luck.