Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy

Anyone been in this position before?

So I'm a pretty big half guard/lockdown player and the other night when I was reguarding I ended up trapping my partner's arm inside my half guard; it was an interesting position to me and I felt it out for about a minute or so looking for someway to take advantage; later that night and last night I've found that I am able to recreate and get back to that position pretty successfully. The only issue is that I haven't been able to find a way to really take advantage of it. I'm able to keep the arm trapped fairly easily, but I just can't think of how to really take advantage of it other than using it to roll them over their trapped shoulder (however, this rolls you into a really awkward and bad position on top as they can basically take deep half guard as you sweep them.)

So I guess, I'm trying to turn this over here to see if anyone has been in this position before or can think of any attacks from here. I hope my description makes enough sense (To recap it's half guard with their top/inside arm trapped inside of your guard, essentially pinned to their hip) if not I can try to get some pictures to show it better.

Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    How is the arm being trapped?
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

I feel like most people would attempt a Triangle choke as soon as the arm is trapped?

This is assuming you can shrimp/burst out the inside non-trapping leg. If you can throw it up during/after the sweep for a mounted triangle... even better.

If that leg is stuck in half guard personally I would just go back to my usual lockdown sweeps as they work so well

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    How is the arm being trapped?

It's trapped with my outside/top leg pinning it down and squeezing against his trapped leg. So if his right leg is in my half guard, his right arm is trapped against it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    How did you trap the arm there?

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Well, the first time it was a complete accident; after that I was fishing for it so I would wait until they would try to pass and would reach down to try to press my guard down their knee and then re-guard over top of it. It's a similar motion to going for an inverted triangle

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Just keep in it real, Im a huge 1/2 guard player, Im just not seeing this happening to anyone thats skilled. Most top half passes especially lockdown passes take place with the arms in a upper body pummeling battle, no where near the hips, let alone between the legs.

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Just keep in it real, Im a huge 1/2 guard player, Im just not seeing this happening to anyone thats skilled. Most top half passes especially lockdown passes take place with the arms in a upper body pummeling battle, no where near the hips, let alone between the legs.
    Chris, that's totally fine and also what I was looking for. I hit this by accident on a blue belt and then put myself in the position against lower ranked white belts. If this isn't something legit to invest time in I'd rather bail after a couple days than a couple weeks or worse months. So I really appreciate the honesty man!

Sorry to waste everyone's time but if someone does come up with something or know of something I'd love to know.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Play with it, have fun. I would go for an arm triangle on the opposite side, basically an apollo. I am having a hard time figuring out how you are keeping that arm trapped though. lol.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Make a video for us to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast