Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    A lot of people will diet really hard and eat clean to make weight and then eat like shit after weigh ins and the day of the tournament. Avoid this mistake if you can. It will kill your energy levels.

I suppose I'm fortunate enough to actually enjoy & prefer eating clean (vegan) haha. But I see what you're saying and see it quite often.

Thanks man!

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Stick with the Ashi stuff and only go for straight ankle attacks. All others are illegal until Brown. Reaping is not allowed so always keep the knee you're attacking pointing out or away.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Seems like a weird idea but for your first tournament... I really recommend almost not preparing for it. Yeah, you can read over the rules, but I'd recommend not thinking about it much and not cutting weight AT ALL. Thats one more thing to think about your first event. You train every day with guys slightly heavier then you but you don't train malnourished or dehydrated (hopefully) so I'd say stick to what your used to. Then you can look for a mild cut your second one if you like..

I almost feel like I have only so many weight cuts in a career and for a first tournament where you may do that and they might combine you up a weight anyway?

That's just what I tell my guys that ask me. I don't pressure hard at all for a first tournament... and oddly enough, we end up with a HUGELY winning record, first events included. Imagine that. Don't stress it man, eliminate as many variables as you can and go out there and do what you do in class.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinculp View Post
    Stick with the Ashi stuff and only go for straight ankle attacks. All others are illegal until Brown. Reaping is not allowed so always keep the knee you're attacking pointing out or away.
    Ah yes, my coach got DQ'd for exactly this!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Seems like a weird idea but for your first tournament... I really recommend almost not preparing for it. Yeah, you can read over the rules, but I'd recommend not thinking about it much and not cutting weight AT ALL. Thats one more thing to think about your first event. You train every day with guys slightly heavier then you but you don't train malnourished or dehydrated (hopefully) so I'd say stick to what your used to. Then you can look for a mild cut your second one if you like..

I almost feel like I have only so many weight cuts in a career and for a first tournament where you may do that and they might combine you up a weight anyway?

That's just what I tell my guys that ask me. I don't pressure hard at all for a first tournament... and oddly enough, we end up with a HUGELY winning record, first events included. Imagine that. Don't stress it man, eliminate as many variables as you can and go out there and do what you do in class.
    So I did almost exactly this. A few days prior I made a point to rest and I kept in the mindset to not put too much pressure on myself.
    I did cut 5 pounds however because the day I registered I was training pretty intense and the few days really did a number I suppose.

Either way I placed 2nd!
    First two matches I submitted with omoplata and backtake + rear naked from kimura grip.
    I lost to a state wrestler by points however. I did absolutes as well and would have won but I didn't know that if the opponent disengaged I don't have to stand up, so I did. And the dude (at least 40 pounds above me) kept taking me down and breaking away from my submission attempts from guard.

Thanks for the advice man!

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    Quote Originally Posted by itsJaime View Post
    So I did almost exactly this. A few days prior I made a point to rest and I kept in the mindset to not put too much pressure on myself.
    I did cut 5 pounds however because the day I registered I was training pretty intense and the few days really did a number I suppose.

Either way I placed 2nd!
    First two matches I submitted with omoplata and backtake + rear naked from kimura grip.
    I lost to a state wrestler by points however. I did absolutes as well and would have won but I didn't know that if the opponent disengaged I don't have to stand up, so I did. And the dude (at least 40 pounds above me) kept taking me down and breaking away from my submission attempts from guard.

Thanks for the advice man!
    Well done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12