Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NABJJF - How to prepare for a tournament week of?

I'll be competing in my first tournament this weekend! I've heard a variety of advice like pushing body to the limit until a few days prior and intense cardio. I'm dropping 4 lbs to make weight.

How do you guys prepare personally?

Array

School
    Fortitude BJJ (Singapore), 10th Planet South Melbourne
    Roll according to your game plan (can be boring but reps is key), don't take rounds off. cant go too intense as comp day gets nearer to avoid getting injured.

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    Get your diet on track, as that will help you to keep your energy levels high, whilst keeping your mind and body ready to go. Basics win fights, so focus on foundation positions, and how to escape basic moves. Position before submission is key, as rolling at comp is much different to rolling with your training partners.

Keep calm and relaxed, like the saying "go with the flow". However, remember that you need to control that flow and dictate how the match plays out.

Basically, keep calm, enjoy it, learn from it, grow from it.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by itsJaime View Post
    I'll be competing in my first tournament this weekend! I've heard a variety of advice like pushing body to the limit until a few days prior and intense cardio. I'm dropping 4 lbs to make weight.

How do you guys prepare personally?
    A week in advance is a little late to push to the limit, you can do some moderate cardio, but you don't want to be to sore to move the day of the tournament. At this point I would recommend polishing up your game plan (if you have one), drilling repeated to accommodate your game plan.. If you don't have one, I would start working on one with the little time you have left.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    NABJJF looks to follow the IBJJF rules and code of conduct. Make sure you know the rules and scoring. Plenty of stupid ways to get DQ'd or give up a bunch of points under IBJJF rules. Also, confirm that your shorts and rash guard and/or gi are 100% on-point. I've seen guys get patches ripped off and even barred from competing for relatively minor issues with their gear.

Best of luck!

This is very true. My ankle is really vulnerable from a recent heelhook and just yesterday I misplaced a step on the sidewalk and had a huge scare that I messed up my ankle. Repping, and repping and training with flow in mind, not intensity, seems like the best choice yeah. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Prentice View Post
    NABJJF looks to follow the IBJJF rules and code of conduct. Make sure you know the rules and scoring. Plenty of stupid ways to get DQ'd or give up a bunch of points under IBJJF rules. Also, confirm that your shorts and rash guard and/or gi are 100% on-point. I've seen guys get patches ripped off and even barred from competing for relatively minor issues with their gear.

Best of luck!
    Oh dude as funny as it might seem, obvious things like that just slipped right by me! I have a tendency to use leg lock positions for sweeps and control (oshi/xguard) I wouldn't want to get disqualified from a habit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith D View Post
    A week in advance is a little late to push to the limit, you can do some moderate cardio, but you don't want to be to sore to move the day of the tournament. At this point I would recommend polishing up your game plan (if you have one), drilling repeated to accommodate your game plan.. If you don't have one, I would start working on one with the little time you have left.
    You're right. And I haven't yet really cultivated any sort of "game" but I will definitely try to have something in mind rather than just winging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffan Chyzak View Post
    Get your diet on track, as that will help you to keep your energy levels high, whilst keeping your mind and body ready to go. Basics win fights, so focus on foundation positions, and how to escape basic moves. Position before submission is key, as rolling at comp is much different to rolling with your training partners.

Keep calm and relaxed, like the saying "go with the flow". However, remember that you need to control that flow and dictate how the match plays out.

Basically, keep calm, enjoy it, learn from it, grow from it.

Good luck
    Ah man this got me real excited. Foundation definitely IS key. I won't be trying any fancy maneuvers but my high percentage go to positions/moves. I sometimes forget that the point is to learn and grow from these experiences. No need to put pressure on my mind. I'll do my best to stay calm and fight intelligently, thanks bro!

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    Quote Originally Posted by itsJaime View Post
    Ah man this got me real excited. Foundation definitely IS key. I won't be trying any fancy maneuvers but my high percentage go to positions/moves. I sometimes forget that the point is to learn and grow from these experiences. No need to put pressure on my mind. I'll do my best to stay calm and fight intelligently, thanks bro!
    Keep us posted on how you get on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast