Array

School
    10th Planet HQ

New Guy Core Strength And Conditioning

Hey everyone, I just wrapped up my first week of Jiu Jitsu at 10th Planet. Im loving it so far! I've read a lot about white belt spazzing, and trying to 'muscle' though things in the beginning, which I'm sure Im doing. And as a result, I'm definitely feeling it in my lower back, which is something Ive never experienced before. I'm thinking I need to pay attention to core strengthening exercises. There are a ton of opinions out there as to what the best core conditioning exercises are, it becomes hard to know what is optimal.I'm trying to narrow it down in order to have a clear idea of exactly what works for BJJ. Hoping to hear from some 10th Planet guys on this, and overall stretching, strength & conditioning routines all around that can be done regularly outside of the gym on a daily basis. Cheers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    My lower back (along with the rest of it) is... not the best. I do back rehab exercises like "super man's" or plank based things. Youtube is a true wealth in this area, search back rehab exercises. I crunch so much in jiu-jitsu that I get tons of work on that and not much on my back which creates an imbalance. If your backs bothering you, the last thing I would do would be to add typical "core" work which are all abs things like sit ups. Just my thoughts on that.

Also, this may sound obvious but... try and slow down and relax and try and determine whats hurting your back and try and do that less. If your back hurts say, when your holding on along time when getting stacked in a certain pass, become aware of that and drill prevention for that. And if your there, let go and learn a defense that is not simply staying in the position that might be shortening your career. Thats all just an example of course.

Relax, breath and enjoy the journey!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    In my opinion, Yoga is king when it comes to improving overall mobility, stability, and flexibility. You'll notice a huge difference with even 30 minutes a day.

That said, the most important things are going to class, listening to your coaches, and mindfully learning the system. You'll get there eventually.

And especially this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Relax, breathe and enjoy the journey!