Too early to compete in novice tournaments?

Hi,

I've had my first few classes and am interested in competing. It looks like quite the learning experience and it will be nice to see where I stand among other students. I am looking at the NAGA at the end of March in San Diego. Would it be possible to compete and not make a total fool of myself?

Advice is greatly welcome!
    Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    It depends on you really. It's down to how much you know, and if you've got a good gas tank, as sometimes it's about being able to last it out. If you've got some good solid foundations e.g.: you know the basic positions of bjj, at least two submissions and two escapes from each position, then I don't see why not. I wouldn't recommend to anyone who's never done grappling before to enter with only a few lessons under their belt, but if you've been into it for a while and feel that you know enough to play the game then why not. I'd speak to your instructor or training partners and see what feedback you get.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Talk to your instructor.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    try it do your best, nobody cares if you get mopped up and tap out in ten seconds, most people are there to see their kids. Be realistic, in all sports you start to compete as you learn, that doesnt mean you are going to be ready or perform at a high level. To make it the best learning experience get a friend to take video and dissect it to identify the parts of your game that you need to work on...

go out there and see where you are at, analyze your film, have your questions ready for your coach when the opportunity presents itself...

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Like Herzog said, talk to your coach. He has the best idea of where your skill level is at. 2-3 months is usually enough time to have a first competition. I would definitely want to have some positions you can work from offensively and an escape from every disadventagous position so your not just stuck without an idea of what to do.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile
    My main concern would be safety. Most submissions are allowed in Naga novice with the exception of heel hooks. A "novice" competitor may have far more mat time than you and throw some submissions at you that you're not ready for or aware of. As the others have advised, your coach will know best. If your coach gives you the go just do your best and don't be too prideful to tap and I think you'll be ok.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I'm going to throw in a third "talk to your instructor" comment to this thread. I would definitely not compete without talking to him about it. NAGA does have a 6 months and under category (novice) but your still well under the amount of mat time most there would have. Competing can be a great learning experience like you said, but doing the proper prep for what your entering is important to really get that experience to its fullest. See what your coach says. Note that some coaches may even see it as mildly disrespectful to enter representing them when we basically have not even trained with them yet. So talk to him for sure.

Agree with the above comment, after your instructor gives you the nod to compete. compete as much as possible, I read a study years ago staying competing is equal to 3 months for training from what you learn/ experience