Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin

Ashi and outside ashi defence

Pretty self explanatory here! Lol

Any videos on the MTS system or even YouTube of good escapes from these positions

The Honey Flip is my favorite leg lock technique it's all over MTS these days...
    You can use it to reverse or escape honey hole/ashi garami

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The defense is proper heal and knew alignment then, project 'free the knee'.
    Every position in the ashi is deadly. I finish with as few transitions as possible after entry. Usually right off the entry. Bottom side, top.. doesn't matter.
    Enter, control, finish.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Heel and knee**

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Remember that all leg locks require you to control hip and have their knee past your hips; so transversely, if you can either get your hip free or clear your knee, your safe. Here are a couple quick breakdowns on the basic escapes, both are effective and allow you to flip the position on them or pass. They'll require you to throw on the boot (Straighten your ankle that's being attacked as hard as you can like you were trying to put your foot in an imaginary boot) to buy yourself enough time to defend.

Ashi Garami :
    Push their foot off your hip and try to hop over it with your butt, you want to immediately get control of their inside leg. I use a C grip on the back of the heel and then feed it into my armpit (as if I were attacking an ankle lock) because it gives you the most control. If you're wanting to pass, secure it under your inside armpit (same armpit as the leg being attacked) if you're wanting to attack go to the outside armpit. Then, If you want to pass just come up and pressure straight into them as you're already in the leg drag pass position, you can either circle to the back or step over/around to mount. If you want to attack their legs, bring your outside leg over and reap their knee and tuck it under the knee of your inside leg; I like to go belly down here with my inside hand on their knee to prevent it from pulling out, and then use my outside hand to setup whatever finish I'm looking for (Ankle lock or Heel hook) once it's set, I start to apply pressure with just my outside arm and then bring my inside hand to apply finishing pressure.

Outisde Ashi
    This one is a little more difficult, the control comes from the clamp of their knees so naturally you have to find a way to break that clamp. I use a c grip on the inside of their knee to create space and then I will use my free leg to pummel in and finish breaking that clamp. This puts you in a weird outside 50/50 position where you can attack or try to come up for the pass. Nate Orchard shows this to Ben Saunders in MTS 88, it's around the 40 minute mark.

There are a couple other defenses, but basically your goal is to free your hip and clear your knee line.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    You are NOT safe if you just clear the knee line, there are several attacks that you can finish when the knee line is cleared. Everyone focusing on Heel hooks, ankle and foot locks. Your knee and hips can still be attacked if just the knee line is cleared. Knee compressions, calf slicers, ham sandwiches, etc. are all done once the knee line is cleared. Study the whole leg game not just pieces of it.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    What episode is the honey flip on? Can't find it

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKeown View Post
    Honey flip is a counter to honey hole, not ashi or DOA.

Its in the 10th Planet warm ups D3.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKeown View Post
    MTS 98 "The Cummings Honey Flow" is where it was introduced

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    You are NOT safe if you just clear the knee line, there are several attacks that you can finish when the knee line is cleared. Everyone focusing on Heel hooks, ankle and foot locks. Your knee and hips can still be attacked if just the knee line is cleared. Knee compressions, calf slicers, ham sandwiches, etc. are all done once the knee line is cleared. Study the whole leg game not just pieces of it.
    Thanks! I've never even heard of a ham sandwich so... that's totally new to me and I've never messed with calf slicers or Knee compressions, so I don't know the defenses nearly as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast