Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Hewson View Post
    http://undsci.berkeley.edu/teaching/...ptions.php#b11

Here is an excerpt from the above webpage:

MISCONCEPTION: Science can only disprove ideas.

CORRECTION: This misconception is based on the idea of falsification, philosopher Karl Popper's influential account of scientific justification, which suggests that all science can do is reject, or falsify, hypotheses — that science cannot find evidence that supports one idea over others. Falsification was a popular philosophical doctrine — especially with scientists — but it was soon recognized that falsification wasn't a very complete or accurate picture of how scientific knowledge is built. In science, ideas can never be completely proved or completely disproved. Instead, science accepts or rejects ideas based on supporting and refuting evidence, and may revise those conclusions if warranted by new evidence or perspectives.

So I will say this, there is not enough evidence to accept the idea of a flat earth, nor is there enough evidence to disprove a round earth.

Now I will ask you this, if I disprove your theory about the chicago skyline being evidence of a flat earth, will you concede that the earth is round?

Also, lets talk about the dangers of trolling on this issue. What many people do not think of is the damage that is being done by spreading an idea you know to be false. Imagine someone who is not as bright as you, imagine you convince them that the earth is flat and that the government is lying to them. Now think about how they now see the world, a world you constructed in their mind. Now they do not trust their fellow man, now they do not trust science. And now when they vote for our leaders and our future they do so with bogus information.

Imagine for a second telling a mentally retarded man that the earth was flat and everyone has been lying to him. Can you see how cruel that is? I am being serious when I say this, spreading lies and confusing the weak minded is super messed up.

Sure maybe you are not trolling right now and you are serious, but I would wager that you know better and I would wager that most people who say the earth is flat know better too.
    People believed in a flat earth in human history much longer than the globe earth. What are the proofs the earth is a ball ?

Array

School
    Adrenaline MMA, Cheltenham VIC Australia
    I think I have heard enough to base my opinion on the subject and I have said what I "needed" to say to satisfy myself.

I wish you the best my man and hope some better evidence comes out for both sides of the issue.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Hewson View Post
    I think I have heard enough to base my opinion on the subject and I have said what I "needed" to say to satisfy myself.

I wish you the best my man and hope some better evidence comes out for both sides of the issue.
    Cool man... it will be interesting to see where this all goes in the future. Peace.

Array

School
    I just saw a couple of this guys videos. His name is Brian Mullen and he is a structural engineer who has been looking at the flat earth. I posted his first video below but check out his Youtube channel for more vids. The spinneing ball earth math doesn't add up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK

All we really know is that we don't really know

Anyone who argues over flat earth or globed earth and makes it personal needs to get their ego in check

We believe what we are told but we are beginning to figure out that we are being lied to, but some things we might no be being lied to.. so there it is

No one here has gone to outer space and looked at earth from far away enough to say hand on heart with any certainty what shape it is

I took the photo linked below. I can tell you that the wall pictured is not curved. It is straight and it's only the camera's lens that has curved the image. I can say that with absolute certainty because it is half a mile from where I live and I can go past it any time. You can look at the picture for yourself and argue whether it is straight, flat, curved, concaved, convexed or anything else you want but you are wasting your time and will prove nothing, I know what the wall is all about because I have been there and seen it. Any other theories on the wall are irrelevant compared to standing at the wall itself and seeing with your own eyes the fact it is not curved:

http://i.imgur.com/DDbqDwH.jpg

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    What I'm learning from this thread is that drugs addle the mind.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    What I'm learning from this thread is that drugs addle the mind.
    Some minds are that way out of the box.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    My take away from this discussion is that you should question some of the fundamental beliefs that you perceive are absolute. It is fine to make assumptions based on the experiences and teachings of others to make fast advances but it does not make an excuse for wishful blindness. Assuming that everyone was doing their job and checking their facts is was allowed Enron to collapse. I think this concept can be applied to Jiu-Jitsu techniques as well. It is fine to assume what someone is teaching is truth in order to learn, but questioning things presented as fact is part of the learning process as well.

Now who wants to talk about dinosaurs

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Absolute beliefs (beliefs in general) are the province of religion, not science.
    Anyone who takes a scientific conclusion as absolute, does not understand the first thing about the scientific method.
    Absolute conclusions are supported by faith, not evidence.

I dont see a lack of questioning here, just ludacris confirmation bias and massive ignorance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast