Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IBJJF rules and the Jiu Claw

Hey Guys,

So I have a friend who is looking to compete in an upcoming NAGA event, and we were talking about the rules in terms of points and what not, and we actually got into a pretty interesting conversation regarding points from the Jiu Claw.

So as we all know, if we get to Jiu Claw and they roll out of it to escape, that is a sweep. So does that make the Jiu Claw a type of Guard position? The reason I have to ask this question, is because I often attack for omoplatas from the top, and if they roll out when I go to Jiu Claw from the top do I still get points for a sweep for that?

One of the many grey areas of points competition I guess, what do you guys think?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I think points are kinda silly. If they tap, you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    I think points are kinda silly. If they tap, you win.
    I personally agree, but this was a question that actually made me have to think about it a little bit. Its the guys first competition and he was asking me to teach him about how the points worked.. We started rolling again, and I went to Jiu Claw from top, and he did the exact situation as I described above, and said "I just gave you another sweep, didn't I? How many points is that worth?" ... To which I had to reply that I wasn't sure... Lol

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Yes, you get the points for a sweep.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    IBJJF and NAGA are not the same rules system.

If you give up a dominate position to go to Jiu Claw, its likely going to give them escape/sweep points.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    A sweep has to initiated from a guard. If you go from RG, to jiu claw, and fail on the omoplata (e.g. end up in side control), then you will get 2 points for the sweep and you SHOULD get 3 for passing the guard to side control (not always the case with some referees).
    If you go from mount no points, because it wasn't initiated from a guard. If you go from mount and end up on bottom, no points for you or your opponent as it's classed as a reversal of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    IBJJF and NAGA are not the same rules system.

If you give up a dominate position to go to Jiu Claw, its likely going to give them escape/sweep points.
    Thanks man,

I was under the impression Naga followed IBJJF rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Birring View Post
    A sweep has to initiated from a guard. If you go from RG, to jiu claw, and fail on the omoplata (e.g. end up in side control), then you will get 2 points for the sweep and you SHOULD get 3 for passing the guard to side control (not always the case with some referees).
    If you go from mount no points, because it wasn't initiated from a guard. If you go from mount and end up on bottom, no points for you or your opponent as it's classed as a reversal of position.
    Thanks for the info man... I was thinking of something along those lines as well.. Although in competition I have never received passing points for sweeping from the Jiu Claw to side control... I also thought maybe as Chris said above because you are technically giving up a dominant position it would still count as a sweep..

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    NAGA is not IBJJF rules. However, you can't really get sweep points if you attack from the top. If you mean "does the guy get points for sweeping", the answer is no. You are attacking from mount, he does not have any kind of guard, he does not get points according to IBJJF. I am not 100% it that is still the case with NAGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Trigo View Post
    NAGA is not IBJJF rules. However, you can't really get sweep points if you attack from the top. If you mean "does the guy get points for sweeping", the answer is no. You are attacking from mount, he does not have any kind of guard, he does not get points according to IBJJF. I am not 100% it that is still the case with NAGA.
    Thanks man,

I was asking more on the basis of whether or not Jiu Claw was considered a guard or not.. So basically, like if you go from side mount (top) to Jiu Claw, if you were technically going to a guard position, and whether or not sweeps would count from there.. As if you attack that position from the bottom it still counts as a guard..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast