Array

School
    Infinity Martial Arts

Teaching the warmups

How long does it usually take to teach the Warm ups and implement them fully? It seems like by the time I have everyone on Warmup H they'll all be wearing blue belts. Do you have separate classes to teach them? Do you warm-up with A and teach B? I have been reteaching A and B for what seems like forever.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBirckhead View Post
    It seems like by the time I have everyone on Warmup H they'll all be wearing blue belts.
    I think that's pretty much the idea.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    We have a dedicated warm ups class. We are lucky enough to have Kane Harris teaching the warmup ups class, Kane has committed to knowing the warm-ups inside out and it makes that class extremely popular with new students.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    How long it takes depends on the student's effort. The people who know the warm ups are the ones who write them out, show up to drill them and review before class.
    My fundamentals class goes over moves in the warmups. Sometimes I teach the path verbatim...other times I take a part of the warm ups and break it down to make sure the position is tight. We also have a dedicated warm ups class on Saturday which is going over the flows exactly.
    I like to spend a week teaching whichever warm up happens on Monday.
    but sometimes Ill teach A on A day, B on B day etc. Other times Ill teach the opposing warm up on that day(Ill teach open guard after we warm up with standing passes or butterflies after warming up with pressure passes)
    I like keeping it varied because not everyone learns the same.
    And our advanced class is on a timer as eddie says below
    Last edited by Drew Ash; 06-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The advanced class is where the warm ups are on a timer, 1 minute review 3 minutes of drilling. The fundamental classes are where the warm ups are broken down piece by piece.

The only way to implement the 10p warm up system into your school is by separating the advanced students from the beginners. There's no way to accomplish this in mixed level classes.

Maybe only have 1 or 2 advanced classes a week then ad more as more students get the warm ups down.

It's almost impossible to raise high level competitors in classes where you always gotta slow down for beginners. You must separate to accelerate.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    And our advanced class is on a timer as eddie says below
    Legit AF

Nothing I respect more in the 10P system than a moonhead that is devoted to the warm-ups. As a ronin that has visited 8-10 different moons I was extremely disappointed to find out that a few of them hardly even acknowledge the warm-ups.

Array

School
    10th planet tucson
    Stop by 10ptucson anytime we have a dedicated warm up class daily at 6:30 the whole hour. No drop in fee for 10p students

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    I have 3 nogi classes a week at an MMA gym and I've been spending 2 weeks on A, 2 weeks on B, etc. Some of them take much longer to explain but I've also made a private group on facebook with all the guys doing these classes to keep them updated with the weekly plans. Recently, I decided I'd change it slightly and spend 2 of the 3 days doing warm ups and the other day will be focused on a certain topic that we'll cover for 2 months (This month being rubber guard, next time probably halfguard)

It takes time and sometimes I'd spend an extra week on a certain set of warm ups. I've been able to teach B2 in 1 class but B1 had to be spread out more. Some of the guys are doing their own study though and sometimes I'll show up to find them drilling the previous classes drills by themselves. This happened a few weeks ago and I was so happy to see them working A2 as I arrived then one of the youngest (Nathan) came up to me with his phone and showed me screenshots of the chemtrails transition and said they were having some trouble with that part. Its a slow process when I can't split it into beginners/advanced (until we move to our new facility next month) but I'm so happy to see the interest. I constantly try to test them on parts we've studied. Mid-conversation about whatever we're talking about, be it alex jones or the UFC over the weekend, I'll just be like "So.. What does A2 start with?.." to see if they hesitate or say "KNEE SLIDE!!" right off the bat. It seems to be working and I've created a small group of competitive assholes who are trying to master the warm ups while testing each other by asking questions like "what's after the 2nd granby in A2?"

It's really helped with my understanding of the warm ups by seeing where the common mistakes are.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The warm ups are not mandatory. Some moon heads just aren't into Jiu jitsu mit work, it's too much work
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    I always consider who is in my class that day before finalizing the lesson plan for that day. If I have a lot of people who have been with me for a while, I can move faster by pairing them up with the newbies. If I have mostly newbs, I slow it down.

If I have a majority of newbs and I'm teaching something complex and critical like the swim move - I may just teach the swim move. I'll show the swim move from the mount, then the swim move from the back (which is how we use it in the warm ups).

Drew has a good point about mixing it up because people learn differently. Some days I try to teach as much as the flow as possible, other days I'll take the pieces of each flow that concentrate on a certain area like mount escapes.

I think the blackboard will help a lot as students can read it and ask me what they don't know. It's nice to have it right there in front of them because when they plan on reviewing the warm ups later - it almost never happens.

I'm also going to update the passport now the newest version seems to be finalized. Not a lot of my students actually use it but I hear it is used at some of the other schools.

As for the length of time, it is up to the student. I tell people they can be proficient within two months if they really apply themselves, and within six months if they just keep coming to class. I also suggest that they use at least one rolling period to drill warm ups - and that they concentrate on one letter at a time. They do not have to have all of the warm ups down on to start taking advanced classes; if they have A down, they can train on A days.
    Last edited by scottross; 06-22-2017 at 03:11 PM.