Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai

Bottom half - Lockdown - Arm triangles

Hey Guys,

So I have been exploring some other options inside of LockDown recently.. specifically when the guy on top has the Head and Arm control.

First thing that started coming up is when the top guy uses his free arm (his over hook - my underhook side - opposite of my LD) to push across your throat... I found that if I timed it right I could use my underhook hand to push his elbow across and basically put him in an Arm Triangle... its hard to finish from the bottom there... but it does give you decent control and puts him in a dangerous spot...

From there I try to Stomp and butterfly... but I found it pretty tough to to hi because the guy can still base with his other leg... you can try to tap the knee.. but still its tough to hit...

Second I can check his knee and come up into full guard with the AT still intact and here I want to take his back.. but its pretty hard to make it work... and it feels kind of awkward...

Generally what happens is I end up on top in his guard with the Arm Tri still locked but now useless... I get the sweep... but end up in a lousy spot.

I was hoping someone had some better options or experience with this and could help me out...

-------------

That being said.. off a good Whipdown with double armpit pushes... when he bases on his hands.. you can also sometimes lock up and Arm Triangle on the same side as your Lockdown... in which case it is very easy to take the back and also sweep to the top or Truck.

Thanks

Tyler

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    The first thing that you're describing is the Apollo Choke. It's been covered several times in MTS over the years, but I am still waiting on someone to break it down with extreme detail. I believe the sweep option from failed Apollo Choke has also been covered, and I have good success with it myself. I think the sweeping legwork is the same as the cop sweep.

As for coming up into full guard with the AT, when that's happened to me I usually use my right hand to grab the wrist of their trapped arm and transition that into a kimura grip to set up Flower sweeps and triangles.

This video from 10P Melbourne has several examples of finishing the Apollo Choke.

0:55
    1:05
    1:30
    1:54
    3:27

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Yes, i need to re-visit the Apollo in mts soon. Frank Barca is an Apollo fiend and it shows in his students
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai
    Thank you so much Charles! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I know I had seen the name Apollo choke floating around but I didnt know what it was.

Thanks for filling me in and providing a great video as well.

That would be great Eddie! Some nice setup details and backup plans/trouble shooting would be awesome!

Thanks again

Tyler

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Yes, i need to re-visit the Apollo in mts soon. Frank Barca is an Apollo fiend and it shows in his students
    Thank you Eddie. Yes I just love every thing about the Apollo choke. I watched Eddie from day 1 setting that up and tapping many guys off his back.

As far as the bottom half lockdown game goes, if you don't develop your Apollo, you're missing a vital piece of the lockdown puzzle in my opinion.

I look forward to the next breakdown on MTS master. 🙏

Train on !!

Frank Barca (Grank)
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    Affilliate Moon Downunder
    190B Sussex Street, Coburg
    Victoria Australia
    www.10thplanet.com.au
    frank@10thplanet.com.au

The apollo has been my number one sub in competition from white to brown. It is a great choke and once you figure it out it becomes fairly high percentage and doesn't take as much effort as you might think.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Frank, make a video of your best/sneakiest Apollo set up and I'll include in mts
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    First State BJJ, Delaware, Pedro Sauer
    YESS! I first hit this accidentally and then caught everyone in my gym...once. Mine was a bit crude I think. Would love and appreciate some details (entries,angles, pressures etc) from the top tier! Looking forward to it!

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai
    Yessssssssss!

Details pleeeeeeeeeeeease

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    I caught a Apollo seminar back in like 2011 and have used it in my arsenal ever since. Perfect when they go twister smash pass when you have lockdown, or can salvage lockdown from the position. As long as you time it well and don't get kimura'd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast