Conditioning and Strengthening for BJJ

Can you please share with me how do you improve your condition and strength before tournaments? Osu.

lift heavy ass fucking weights, if you wanna tone your quads try biking to and from class.

Jeff Monson has never been submitted via leg or armlock this way.

Cardio training might improve your overall cardio but the best way to improve cardio for jj is by actually training jj as much as humanely possible, get friends get a mat and roll. go to every fucking class you can afford

Point im trying to make is tom brady would get tired as fuck if he tried to play hockey it doesnt matter how good of a shape he is in for nfl, his body isnt use to hockey (or any other sport)

Array

School
    Tide Water
    Where are you weak or any nagging injuries? Work on that first, bring up your weaknesses. I do agree with the monk but, strength training will take at least 4-6 months to see good gains that carry over to you game. I'm not saying not to start throwing weights around but if you have a tournament in a month or two you might be better off doing a little and very specific strength training. Focusing on cardio and tech might be better on short timeline. If you can't get on the mat as much as you want or like almost athletes start supplementing some of your cardio. You can't always control the amount of time on the mat or find training partners to drill but, you are 100% responsible for your conditioning. I have to assume that you have at least an average level of physical preparedness and endurance from rolling, if this is your first month rolling fuck you and just roll. haha. This is what works for me and my guys. Sprints on days you don’t roll or 4-6 hours away from jits. Actual sprints or on cardio equip, swimming, or whatever. I would start 9 weeks out and as you get closer to competition decrease distance and increase intensity. Example weeks 1-2, 5 sets of 100m sprint, weeks 3-4, 7 sets of 80m, weeks 5-6, 10 sets of 60m, 7-8, 12 sets of 40m. Week 9 de-load to 6 sets of 40m. Rest between sets should be long enough for you to be able to sprint as hard as possible every set. I use a HR monitor and I rest till my HR is back down below 140-135. Or just wait 1:30-2:00min. Also, when and if you’re in really good shape look up Tabata sprints. That’s a simplified answer if you want strength info or more on cardio and are actually going to try it let me know. Thanks homie.

Array

School
    The Submission Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAOLINMONK View Post
    lift heavy ass fucking weights, if you wanna tone your quads try biking to and from class.

Jeff Monson has never been submitted via leg or armlock this way.

Cardio training might improve your overall cardio but the best way to improve cardio for jj is by actually training jj as much as humanely possible, get friends get a mat and roll. go to every fucking class you can afford

Point im trying to make is tom brady would get tired as fuck if he tried to play hockey it doesnt matter how good of a shape he is in for nfl, his body isnt use to hockey (or any other sport)
    What this guy said. Train more and lift some heavy ass weights. To get better at competition, you have to compete more. Good luck!