Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone else like to study the history of martial arts?

I'm a history major and I'm very interested in war and also happen to like MMA. I love studying the styles and origins of martial arts. I believe martial arts (as we know them today) originated in China.

Anyone else interested in this kind of thing?

Array

School
    Los Angeles Downtown HQ
    I've been heavily influenced by war strategy, edo period japan, and capoeira throughout 16th-20th century brazil.

I am as well, do you have any book recommendations?

From what I have read in the Middle Ages most fights were finished on the ground, once an opponent is on the ground it makes it a lot easier to stick a sword or spear into the chest.

Array

School
    I have no rank in juijitsu.....but do in other martial arts
    I'm a Hung Gar practioner and former Marine Grunt...what type of war strategy/tactics do you study?

Array

School
    I have no rank in juijitsu.....but do in other martial arts
    Medium/long range weapons are not effective if your fight has taken you to the ground......just saying

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    I think it is a fascinating subject, but I disagree with you. Martial Arts didn't really originate in any specific place, in the sense that "war" didn't originate anywhere. Virtually all countries and cultures have some for of traditional or folk wrestling/or fighting.

I am a history major, my specialty is World War 1 and World War 2/stalin/mao/hitler. I believe the tactics used in every war must influence martial arts. The tactics in Portuguese stick fighting/Jogo do pau are for self-defense in medieval times when some douchebag king would send you to war and you had to fight with garbage weapons and pray to fucking god you don't get hurt and get your leg or arm cut off with a hack saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Trigo View Post
    I think it is a fascinating subject, but I disagree with you. Martial Arts didn't really originate in any specific place, in the sense that "war" didn't originate anywhere. Virtually all countries and cultures have some for of traditional or folk wrestling/or fighting.
    You're probably right, as an american growing up martial arts always seemed to have some eastern vibe. I don't even know what the fuck people call it martial arts. In german it's kampfkünste (struggle art) and from I've what I've gather martial arts and MMA in Korea/Japan are understood as two completely diff things.

Martial arts history is certainly very interesting, but personally I'm most fascinated by the art and science involved in martial arts, more concretely the aesthetics on one and efficiency on the other side.

As far as the history is concerned, I agree with Diogo. Generally, the "origin" of martial arts is closely related to "fighting" overall. Besides all the wars throughout history, fighting has always been a part of life in one way or another. People were fighting over the position of a leader, they were fighting over territories, women, etc.

Since you mentioned China, well, their approach to martial arts has been heavily influenced by Buddhism, which came originally from India, the same country where Kalaripayattu comes from. Before the development of more stylized techniques, traditional forms of wrestling and basic boxing were certainly the very foundation of everything.

I sorta believe they had fighting systems close to mma in every country but.....

why does china have 0 ground fighting they got throws kickboxing but no ground game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast