Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    These are my own personal observations so take that for what it's worth and maybe others can add their thoughts to the issue.

I have a banged up lateral collateral tendon on my left leg and I can still pull mission control without injuring or inflaming it. I actually injured it (possibly) while battling against a toe hold.

In my opinion, your knee joint is not meant to bend from side to side. There is no flexibility training for this, your tendon's just don't bend that way. You should be using your hips for flexibility pulling on your hip via the knee hug. If you are pulling your shin perpendicular to the flexation of your knee, you can injure yourself. I know it may look like people are doing that, but they aren't they are pulling downward with their shins, within the natural range of the knee joint using their hip flexibility to bring the shin close enough to clear the head.
    This. Very good advice. I actually inflamed my bursar in my knee which swelled so bad o thought o would have to go to the doctor and have it drained. Knee hugging is the key along with vigorous stretching.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Flexibility is in the hips, not the knees. When your hips are flexible, the positions wont put pressure on your knees. I grabbed some old karate belts, tied one leg to one bedpost, and tied the other to my leg and wrapped it around the other bedpost. Went as far into splits as I could and watched TV. I tighten it during each commercial break. When you do the foot to knee stretch, curl your toes back instead of pointed so it works the hips instead of the knee.
    Knee flexibility is as important as hip flexibility. I have two bad knees from racing dirtbikes and struggle to pull some movements, especially when trying tight butterfly guard.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Franks right, you have to have flexible knees, no doubt. Hips are important but you gotta have flexible knees.

Rubber Guard Flexibility:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0162525AAluQqf

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    if you at least do stretches after your warm up at practice, then mission control should be no problem. im a fat lazy kid who rarely exercises or stretches other than when a training. im not naturally flexible either. but i still get to invisible collar, ive found when im struggling to move into certain positions i just need to angle your hips more in different directions to get that bit further. but you should still work on flexibility, even only a little. it will make all the difference.

Array

School
    Home
    Stretch all the time. Get to the point where ur stretching and dont even know it until someone says what are u doing? I stretch all the time. Ill be playing Xbox at home and Ill hop into a butter fly stretch position. Stretch when u watch tv. U don't have to make Stretching seem like a task. Im stretching right now and just realized it. Once u get to the point where u stretch without realizing it u will be rubber like in not time. Even Eddie said the same thing about working on ur squeeze. He would hug his knee and work on his rear naked choke all the time and even said he got to the point where he would be doing it without thinking about it. Dont make it seem like a big task and u will get the best results.

Frank and Jay, you guys are right, I didn't write that very well. Knee flexibility is important. I was just trying to say that when the hips are really flexible, it puts less pressure on the knees, which will only go so far before popping.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Yeah, you have to have everything flexible really. You can't just have flexible knees and not flexible hips, as it would put undue strain on the knees. If you have flexible hips AND knees, there's not much risk of damage in RG

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    What exactly are you referring to when you guys are saying "flexible knees"? Are you saying back and forth, or laterally.. side to side?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    What exactly are you referring to when you guys are saying "flexible knees"? Are you saying back and forth, or laterally.. side to side?
    the flexion in the normal back and forth has to be beyond the normal everyday walking around range. As for me, I couldnt completely fold my legs under me like in a traditional ma sit on knees position. too much arthritis built up, now its a little better and I'm working on getting it deeper. knee flexibilty really helps in certain moves such as triangles and when in dogfight and you want to put your outside leg in behind your opponents knee as eddie does. and being that I dont have an acl on my right knee, lateral flexion is something that I stay away from as my kee may pop out of joint. That really hurts when that happens.

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    While you are waiting to get flexible get your half guard game to an insane level. When you have become a master of the half guard your flexibility should be caught up enough to work some rubber magic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast