Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Leavelle View Post
    Jason, Ive had problems with my back but its more of a upper middle of the back. When its really bad it feels like a knot that I cant stretch out other times its just sore and annoying. Ive been to yoga a few times and it seems to help...do you know of any stretches that really hit that middle of the back area? Ive thought about seeing a chiropractor or something cause I have missed training when it gets really bad.
    Chris,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. It is an on going issue for fighters and non fighters alike. Also, a lot of men carry stress and trama in their upper to mid back, so that might also be part of it.

Your issue could be a number of different things. It is possible that you are having trouble with your Erector Spinae, Lats, Trapezius, Rhomboids Major/Minor), and/or Teres Major/Minor. It is also a possibility that you are having trouble with something totally different and it is just affecting your mid back. Everything in the body is connected.

That being said, I would need more specific info, but in any case I am a yoga teacher, not a doctor capable of giving you a specific diagnosis.

My advice is to definitely see a chiropractor regularly and also get regular massages. It helps a lot. Also, try a restorative yoga class, make sure they use props, and try and regularly go to yoga classes.

I could tell you a bunch of postures to help the mid back, but without being there, it would be dangerous to do so without the help of a teacher, or a DVD giving you specific instruction.

Rebel Yoga DVD's for fighters coming soon my man!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Cant wait for the DVD thanks for the reply.

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Leavelle View Post
    Jason, Ive had problems with my back but its more of a upper middle of the back. When its really bad it feels like a knot that I cant stretch out other times its just sore and annoying. Ive been to yoga a few times and it seems to help...do you know of any stretches that really hit that middle of the back area? Ive thought about seeing a chiropractor or something cause I have missed training when it gets really bad.
    Hi a colleague at work was suffering from mid back pain and someone recommended to her this DVD

http://www.pranamaya.com/products/dv...upperback.html

It is apparently the only Yoga based therapy for back problems that has been clinically proven to be effective at treating back pain. There is one for the upper back and a seperate DVD for the low back. Maybe try it and see if that helps.

Good luck!!

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    ...Note: Never do static stretches. Only stretch out your body during a vinyasa flow, or when you are already warm. Static stretching will cause injury. ...
    jason, i'm curious as to what you suggest for increasing hip flexibility for working toward getting into the double lotus. most hip stretched appear fairly static (or at least fairly passive which "isn’t using the extra muscles required to keep the leg up in place") to me
    Last edited by Tony Toffolo; 12-02-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_toffolo View Post
    jason, i'm curious as to what you suggest for increasing hip flexibility for working toward getting into the double lotus. most hip stretched appear fairly static (or at least fairly passive which "isn’t using the extra muscles required to keep the leg up in place") to me
    Hey Tony. Well...yoga has many asanas for the hips and the tissues surrounding them. Being a grappler, much of what I base my vinyasa sequences on in Rebel Yoga classes deals with the hips, knees, low back, and shoulders. All problem areas for BJJ practitioners.

A smart yoga practitioner wouldn't ever really enter into full lotus while cold. Not even if they are flexible enough to do so. That kind of asana would be approached somewhere around half way, to three quarters of a way through a vinyasa, much like inversions, or arm balances.

The purpose of flow yoga is to allow you to get into postures while moving. Almost like doing calisthenics.

If your body is cold, when static stretching, you are putting micro tears into the fibers of your muscles and conjoining tissues, which may one day result in injury.

In other words, doing static stretches can sometimes be helpful, as long as your body is completely warmed up first.

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    Jason, would you suggest a quick jog around the mats or something to that effect before stretching out those muscles to minimize injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Jason, would you suggest a quick jog around the mats or something to that effect before stretching out those muscles to minimize injuries?
    Hey Jim!

The quick answer is yes, but you need to make sure to really work up a good sweat.

The great thing about yoga flow is that you are doing dynamic movements as well as increasing your heart rate. Vinyasa is similar to movements we all recognize, like burpees, push ups, squats, etc. So it literally pumps blood throughout your whole body and really warms up your connective, epithelial, muscular, and nervous tissues.

Running is okay, but I suggest doing drills that are sport specific.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Im Looking forward to doing some yoga on the cruise. Does smoking pot help with stretching or is it in my head?
    Last edited by Stephan Pepin; 12-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Jason as a Personal Trainer and someone who does Yoga 3-4 times a week just wanted to say great topic. Ive come across this many times with Clients and Stretching and teaching my clients yoga flow has improved their lower back , piriformis, and knee issues since they are all so closely related. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing and i hope the word gets out to everyone on here just how important the Piriformis is to Performance.
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Martinez View Post
    Jason as a Personal Trainer and someone who does Yoga 3-4 times a week just wanted to say great topic. Ive come across this many times with Clients and Stretching and teaching my clients yoga flow has improved their lower back , piriformis, and knee issues since they are all so closely related. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing and i hope the word gets out to everyone on here just how important the Piriformis is to Performance.
    Thanks Dennis! I'm a NY guy too and I hope we get to kick it one day.

Best,
    Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12