Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK

Preventing the Electric Chair sweep

Hi
    My gym must have been drilling the Electric Chair sweep recently because everyone is hitting it on me lately.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good ways to prevent and/or counter it?
    Or even better is there anything I should be doing in top half that will stop them going for it?

Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Pinch your knees to prevent them from swimming under you and entering that deep half guard. This will effectively shut down their attempt. Also don't lose the underhook battle. These are all thoroughly dissected in the path to the electric chair, so it may be easier said than done against a skilled electric chairist. This video of Eddie and Jean Jacques sparring shows Jean Jacques shutting down the swim-under as good as anyone. We have one blue belt at our school that's seen this and dammit if he isn't the hardest guy in the academy to swim under. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXcWVz9OCfw
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 10-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Win the underhook fight and drill lockdown passes. Warm Up G is very effective about that.

Array

School
    10WO
    Control the inside space.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Strong head n arm and do the no hands pass, if they get the underhook then you just have to gable grip behind the knobby part of the back of their head and it prevents the whip up then no hands pass. If they do manage to get to their side then you whizzer them to the ground and make them go to dog fight....

Basically if you keep their shoulders on the mat(head n arm, gable around head if they get the unders) and a strong whizzer(or 1/4 nelson really prevents them from being able to get under you) then they can't do it...if they have a strong jaws of life, strong whip up where they can beat you chest pressure and elevate your hips than they are taking the electric chair you are not necessarily giving it away...

Array

School
    RMNU
    once they hit it do a push up and try to square back up but look out for them to use the pressure to go back the other way to hit half n half.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    This most recent MTS is CRITICAL in answering your question. One particular detail I liked was the idea of the "Electric Moment of Truth", where the electric chairist is working to bring the leg from his bicep to the shoulder. The "Moment of Truth" component is new for me, I've never heard it referred to like that before. It helps you appreciate the concept that you NEED that leg on the shoulder to complete the standard, textbook electric chair. As the guy on top, you can sprawl backwards and bite your knee on his bicep, making it really heavy. The episode talks about options from here, including the electric stone sweep. However, if you sprawl and keep your leg off his shoulder, this can buy you time, maybe allowing space you to grab his head to slow'em down, and eventually fedangle outta the position. Keep this in perspective of the bigger picture though. Such measures are only necessary if you've lost the electric underhook battle and he's pretty much 80-90% there, in the RED ZONE, if you will. He's got the ball on your twenty yard line. You could've kept the ball on his side of the field by not losing the underhook battle and not letting him swim under you to control your hips.

Watch the episode for sure, if you haven't already. Well worth the time investment in the long run in increasing your awareness in this position.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 10-25-2017 at 05:08 PM.