Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heel hooks

Array

School
    Jiu jitsu fighters academy Penrith

Heel hooks

What’s everyone’s general opinion of the use of heel hooks in the gym and out of it

Learn how to do them properly and safely, and use them if you and the other person is comfortable with it. I would try to foster a gym environment where heel hooks are fair game during no-gi training, but I would also probably hold off on letting new students use them in sparring until blue belt. But at white belt no-gi I would make sure they had the basic knowledge of the outside heel hook and inside heel hook as well as the major leg entanglement positions to finish each one.

You have to train in an environment that doesn't restrict them, Especially no-gi. They're not my favorite submission. But they are extremely effective and doing no-gi without heel hooks allowed is like doing Diet No-Gi.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    why not?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    No difference between a kimura and a heel hook. Fucked shoulders are just as painful as fucked knees
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Jiu jitsu fighters academy Penrith
    yeah ofc, was just asking. our instuctor doesnt like not allow us but hes not pushing for us to use them

But what about foot tendons sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    No difference between a kimura and a heel hook. Fucked shoulders are just as painful as fucked knees
    Exactly

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I don't usually go for them on guys I have not rolled with before unless they try it on me. Other than that, I think it is fair game just so long you aren't busting up a bunch of people.

From my experience, doing heel hooks is more about how much you know, more so than what they know... A common misconception I have heard in the jiu jitsu community is that "the heel hook is too dangerous because the person you are doing it to wont feel pain until the knee is already damaged", and that CAN BE correct depending on HOW you are doing the technique. There are ways you can do the heel hook so they feel pain in their foot/ankle/and eventually the knee, so they tap before any real damage occurs.. Also I have found that you have to leave your ego at the door when it comes to heel hooks, for example, if you have a heel hook tight, and they're a noob (who is not tapping), just let it go.. Same if they try to spin out of it.. they go to spin the wrong way.. let go! that is where most (again in my experience) heel hook related injuries occur..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast