Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ

Keeping Big Wrestlers from Powering Out of Rubberguard

I searched the forums and wasn't able to find a definitive answer.

Most of my training partners outweigh me by 30-40 lbs, at least double the strength, and very wide at the shoulders with big traps. The issue I run into is after spending five to ten minutes breaking down their posture, I transition to mission control or a free New York or even double bag them, they are trapped for maybe a few seconds and then explode out of the position....especially when I'm wearing spats and they have a rash guard on. Crackhead control is hard to get when they are so wide, but my flexibility is not to double lotus yet, so maybe that would work in time as I get my hips stretched out.

Any tips for keeping them contained and riding out the flailing storm until they calm down? Sometimes once they pop their head out, I can time a quick transition to a gogo or move to jiu claw/omoplata....but it ain't easy, lol.

Do I just need to work on my abductors and leg curls, lol?

Thank you!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Highly recommend purchasing the Rubber Guard book. It's discussed in great detail there.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Highly recommend purchasing the Rubber Guard book. It's discussed in great detail there.
    I have the Advanced Rubber Guard book, not the old one....but I’m only half way through it lol.

Array

School
    Open Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Siriphongs View Post
    I searched the forums and wasn't able to find a definitive answer.

Most of my training partners outweigh me by 30-40 lbs, at least double the strength, and very wide at the shoulders with big traps. The issue I run into is after spending five to ten minutes breaking down their posture, I transition to mission control or a free New York or even double bag them, they are trapped for maybe a few seconds and then explode out of the position....especially when I'm wearing spats and they have a rash guard on. Crackhead control is hard to get when they are so wide, but my flexibility is not to double lotus yet, so maybe that would work in time as I get my hips stretched out.

Any tips for keeping them contained and riding out the flailing storm until they calm down? Sometimes once they pop their head out, I can time a quick transition to a gogo or move to jiu claw/omoplata....but it ain't easy, lol.

Thank you!
    I feel your pain mate. I too had problems with big wrestlers or just with aggressive down to make you there bitch guys.
    If you have no problem in staying in guard ( meaning your own ) you should work for underhooks for a few min and then break the posture and then you should be very high on there head in order to control the posture and make the flying kung fu quicker.
    Is crucial i think to be able to have a bit of distance from there hips and not let them out of your guard is what im saying.
    Anyways that should be easy for the higher belts in here to explain , english is my second language
    s
    We live on a bowl.

"this isn't bread crumbs and horseshit" - AJ

"Come out, come out, pu$$y you can't hide from a war" - 50 cent

Array

School
    Open Mat
    From the master him self

We live on a bowl.

"this isn't bread crumbs and horseshit" - AJ

"Come out, come out, pu$$y you can't hide from a war" - 50 cent

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Siriphongs View Post

Most of my training partners outweigh me by 30-40 lbs, at least double the strength...

Any tips for keeping them contained and riding out the flailing storm until they calm down?

Thank you!
    You have to develop a crushing squeeze with your legs. Usually after 10-15 seconds they will relax and realise that they can't blast their way out. But if you loosen up while you're making a transition, then they will always be able to posture up. I would say just spend rounds holding people down in mission control and new york.

Once you get strong there, goto chill dog. And just hold them there for the whole round. Be annoying with it, develop a tight clinch, it's like one of the main pillars of 10pjj. The position itself isn't enough to hold someone down, you have to put a lot of effort into it. Eventually it just becomes more natural feeling and it won't be taxing physically or mentally as it is now in the beginning.

Imagine pinching your left foot and your right knee together (assuming you're playing right handed RG)

Source: That's what I was told and I weigh ~140 to 150, only like 3 teammates my size. Develop the squeeze, it works.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    You have to develop a crushing squeeze with your legs. Usually after 10-15 seconds they will relax and realise that they can't blast their way out. But if you loosen up while you're making a transition, then they will always be able to posture up. I would say just spend rounds holding people down in mission control and new york.

Once you get strong there, goto chill dog. And just hold them there for the whole round. Be annoying with it, develop a tight clinch, it's like one of the main pillars of 10pjj. The position itself isn't enough to hold someone down, you have to put a lot of effort into it. Eventually it just becomes more natural feeling and it won't be taxing physically or mentally as it is now in the beginning.

Imagine pinching your left foot and your right knee together (assuming you're playing right handed RG)

Source: That's what I was told and I weigh ~140 to 150, only like 3 teammates my size. Develop the squeeze, it works.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I did a seminar in Springfield where Eddie covered the blast out rubber guard escape and how to use t-Rex grips on their knee/calf to stop it, then how to readjust grips to make transfer to dead orchard without them blasting out.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Perry View Post

Thank you! I always hear Eddie emphasizing the clinch.....I guess I should listen, lol. And yes, they blast out as I try to make a transition.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    MTS 116 covers the Rubber Guard Stand-up Battle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast