Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No-Gi Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    There should be a NoGi Judo sport. It would prepare aspiring Mma fighters in the best possible way, in regards to takedowns. Combine the best parts of Wrestling, takedowns using clinching, with the best parts of judo, the submissions.
    Maybe I will just have to become THE GUY to pioneer this (Too bad I have virtually ZERO Judo currently LOL)

...however now I have some great videos to get started with. Thanks for sharing everybody!

Also, I am just now realizing that it might be the Gi that makes Judo what it is? As soon as the Gi comes off it's really just wrestling I guess. (or Judo-based wrestling techniques more specifically?)

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Jiu Jitsu is basically Newaza focused Judo if you look at it that way. There are certain refinements in all grappling styles I find interesting and make them unique be it in Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Luta Livre, Catch Wrestling, Freestyle Wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling, Greco Roman Wrestling, Shuai Jiao, Aikido, etc.

I Judo-tripped someone during clinch-sparring yesterday.

I want to thank my fans, my coaches, everyone on the 10P forums, my friends and family for all the love and support. Couldn't have done this without them!

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Good work. Trippin ain't easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Real talk.

greco roman with jiu jitsu ground game, my gym spars sometimes like that

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Many judo instructors avoid grabbing the legs in respect to observing the judo competition rules. A healthy injection of judo and wrestling combined can create a monster. Personally, and I know it sounds cliche, Ronda Rousey's earlier fights got me into believing in the power of no-gi judo. She seems to have opened a lot of peoples minds on the topic.

^Great post

MANY judo gyms do not always train for judo competition, many older judo instructors still teach the old judo/russian judo with the lower body takedowns

Rhonda was a judo fighter and relied on upper body takedowns this lead to disaster vs holm, trouble closing the distance, miesha on the other hand used more wrestling and lower body takedowns which lead to her winning and avoiding being koed. Judo is more of a close range takedown which sucks against strikers cuz you have to close the distance. Judo takedowns are HIGH RISK except for some of the adopted trips which are barely judo at all

At the end of the day wrestling is wrestling the more rules (like in judo) the less fun it is

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast