Thread: Butterfly guard

Array

School
    Inglorious Grapplers Hong Kong

Butterfly guard

i keep having trouble getting the bigger guys up in the air in butterfly guard any suggestions ?

i am watching MTS 135 Eddie is showing some good tips on butterfly any one else have some tips ?
    Last edited by lattamoney; 01-31-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Posting and pushing off the non butterfly hook leg is a detail often overlooked if you are deadset on getting the guy in the air. You can see Saulo Ribeiro demonstrating and somewhat explaining the post and push at about the 9:00 minute mark here. I do not think I have seen that episode of MTS yet, but I may come back later when I am less sleepy to see if anyone else has some tips and maybe post some more of my own.

Last edited by Jon Watkins; 02-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Quote Originally Posted by lattamoney View Post
    i keep having trouble getting the bigger guys up in the air in butterfly guard any suggestions ?

i am watching MTS 135 Eddie is showing some good tips on butterfly any one else have some tips ?
    Elevating someone heavier can be difficult. To augment yourbutterfly attack vs larger opponents i suggest adding arm drags and flying kung fu’s.

Good luck!

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Lopez Alvarez View Post
    Elevating someone heavier can be difficult. To augment yourbutterfly attack vs larger opponents i suggest adding arm drags and flying kung fu’s. Good luck!
    I've been working this a lot lately with our bigger guys and I like the arm drag as well. Try kicking out your leg on the side of the body your armdragging your oppoenent. Most big guys like to posture and pull strong on that arm. Use that to your advantage and stand up while pulling the arm past your body. Then throw in an RNC while spinning to their back.

Just move your hips as close to your opponent as possible (like you were trying to slide under him) and use your body movement instead of pure strength. You should be able to lift/sweep much heavier opponents.

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    I use to do the butterfly drill (although I don't play butterfly cos my heels still not close enough to my butt yet unless I aid it) with a fella that was 135kg and I was 97kg. I notice, if you can get their upper body to lean on you (using armdrag or anything else to get them to lean away from base), you're only actually lifting their lower body which is less than half the upper body

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    A mad squat routine helps.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    BMAC did a whole seminar for us on butterfly guard and this was a big talking point. A lot of people don't get the proper angle or use the non-butterfly hook during the sweep. Try scooting your but slightly over to get the proper angle instead of trying to pull them directly on top of you. For instance, if you are sweeping them to your left, scoot your but a few inches to your right. It makes a huge difference.

Array

School
    Tac team
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Marciniak View Post
    Just move your hips as close to your opponent as possible (like you were trying to slide under him) and use your body movement instead of pure strength. You should be able to lift/sweep much heavier opponents.
    this is exactly it. You want to get there weight on your hooks , but you don’t want your own body being stretched out you basically want to carry there weight with your own hips if that makes sense z

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetai...?VideoId=28677

just found this on MG looks pretty noice grip to add in to the COP clinches, 2 on 1 grips, to flying kungfus, gogos, mounted RG and that all that game
    Last edited by wongk2; 04-05-2018 at 05:18 AM.