Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maia movement

Array

School
    Memphis Judo and Jiu Jitsu

Maia movement

Does anyone have personal videos of technique or references that could help with applying MAIA's pressure.( Not BJJ Scout)

1.) When MAIA is over the butterfly and he knee weaves to chain his dope mount sometimes I feel that oppo. can still rotate their hips enough to the other side before this transition is complete. Putting you back in the tripod OR all the way across to the knee slice. Is he doing something very specific with his knee weave to mitigate this?

I see that MAIA deals with this sometimes as well but there has to be a way to raise the %

2.) When using this style of passing, savy leg lockers seem to like to gable behind the passers leg for K guard transitions or X- Guard Standups to keep pressure in check. Are these Legit Counters? Maybe a timing flaw on the passers' part when executing the knee weave? Iono.

Thx in Advance.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    You don't see him do this all the time, but when he drives his underhook high, pushes the opponent's lower knee down, and baseball slides like he is going for the cross knee pass, his transition to dope mount is much tighter. Maia is of course a master of hip deflection so he can play looser and hit dope mount without underhooking or even pushing the lower knee down, but till you hit that level, hopefully those details help. Underhooking should also nullify the leg lock and X guard counters. I have been leg weaving to dope mount ever since I saw BJ Penn doing it on youtube about 7 years ago and his passing footage is worth looking into also.

Array

School
    Memphis Judo and Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    You don't see him do this all the time, but when he drives his underhook high, pushes the opponent's lower knee down, and baseball slides like he is going for the cross knee pass, his transition to dope mount is much tighter. Maia is of course a master of hip deflection so he can play looser and hit dope mount without underhooking or even pushing the lower knee down, but till you hit that level, hopefully those details help. Underhooking should also nullify the leg lock and X guard counters.
    1.) Are there hip deflection drills out there that you personally do to improve this part of the game?

2.) What do you feel BJ PENN does better to improve this type of passing?

3.) Purely for sake of learning, lets say I don't get that underhook, dope mount is failing, what are your 2 primary contingencies for this scenario while pressuring the guard.

Thx for the deep underhook advice. I'll do some damage and let you know my progress. You were a big help.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by khrys View Post
    1.) Are there hip deflection drills out there that you personally do to improve this part of the game?

2.) What do you feel BJ PENN does better to improve this type of passing?

3.) Purely for sake of learning, lets say I don't get that underhook, dope mount is failing, what are your 2 primary contingencies for this scenario while pressuring the guard.

Thx for the deep underhook advice. I'll do some damage and let you know my progress. You were a big help.
    1. I have always been more of a situational roll guy than a drill guy so none that I know of or use. If I were to drill this, I would work on timing the hip deflection or baseball slide at the moment the butterfly sweep attempt hits full extension. Once you can do this well, "spread your base" and "float over the guard" and feeling out how to make this transition should become second nature.

2. I wouldn't necessarily say BJ Penn does anything better or worse, but those details I described that he and Demian Maia sometimes do i.e. driving the underhook upward, pushing the lower knee (or non butterfly sweep driving knee) down, and baseball sliding allows you to perform the pass while pinning your opponent's shins and back. Also "spread the base" and "float over the guard" can be substituted by a brief tripod and baseball slide. Finally, playing loose and deflecting to hit dope mount runs a calculated risk of fighting the x guard and leg lock game and you have to consciously feel out and shut all of this down also when you are passing this way.
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 01-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    3. This is my first contingency when my butterfly passes are failing.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    3 Continued. This is what I am thinking when I cannot get the underhook against butterfly guard so I guess that is two contingencies.

PS: If the guy traps your arm between his legs, put your knee on his belly and pull it out.
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 01-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    3 continued again. Pedro Sauer breaks down fairly nicely here a detail that should help you get into this passing position and pummeling an underhook should be less difficult.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I guess thinking about it more...the hip switch involved with the leg weave is not exactly appropriate to call a baseball slide because of how you land. It just seemed to articulate the motion in my mind. The hip movement is broken down fairly well right here though.

Last edited by Jon Watkins; 01-17-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Look into the dms Passing, JM and zach got the dms system down. Very similar to passing off the cop landing except without the upper body clinch. Elements of the chest pass and fly overs too
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    What is dms short for? I am not finding a reference anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast