Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ

What is your Jiu Jitsu animal?

Awhile back, I did a camp with Leo Vieira. As an inside joke sorta thing, I told him that my jiu jitsu animal is the Electric Eel, given that I like to live underwater, consider the Electric Chair as a go-to move, and move much like the Eel in every position. A Shark lives under water, what's dope about the Eel though is that it lives under the sand beneath the ocean. We're talking deep water. It has become an identity of sorts. What caught me by surprise is that when I asked Leo what his animal was, he replied, without an OUNCE of hesitation:

"Octopus"

This made a lot of sense based off our earlier roll. He seemed to have more points of contact than the average person. He seemed to control me in ways that I didn't normally feel. His legs were like extra arms, like tentacles. Playing in the gi made it worse for me. The fact that he knew his animal right away indicates that he has an identity on the mats. What blew things up is that everyone at the camp wanted me to give them an animal. It became too much, not knowing their games/tendencies/body movements. Only the beholder of their own skills can truly know their animal. A lower belt may still be figuring it out. No worries. Keep training, it will come.

When considering your animal, evaluate if you are a top or a bottom player. Evaluate if you are a takedown guy or a guard puller, if you like to pass, smash, and submit from mount, or if you prefer to swim under a guy and enter the lower body submissions. If you had to choose one way to catch someone, gauge your animal around that. Imagine if you were an animal, whether you would live in the Sky, the Land, or the Sea. If you live on one terrain or are amphibious. Below I am posting animals that have been suspected or confirmed, amongst the Jiu Jitsu community...some I have confirmed first-hand, some are second-hand, some are suspected.

Feel free to add your name to the list, and give your reasons! Also, feel free to make an argument for someone on this list or not on this list, exception being for someone that has claimed an animal of their own. Nothing trumps a person identifying with their own animal, no matter what anyone says. If I say someone is one thing, but someone else confirms by first hand account that that person claims to be a different animal, then they are that different animal. You are what is in your heart, not what others tell you you are. Also, non-black belts are barred from using Lion or Shark as theres, as I believe they are reserved strictly for those at the Top of the Food Chain.

Forget not about the subtleties of the animal kingdom: the cat will chase the mouse, the dog will chase the cat, the elephant will smash the dog, yet if cartoons have taught us anything, the mouse will terrorize the elephant. :0

** = confirmed first hand and on record

Rickson Gracie-Lion**
    Buchecha-Lion**
    Leandro Lo-Tiger**
    Mackenzie Dern-Koala**
    Eddie Bravo-Sloth**
    John Danaher-Sloth**
    Joe Rogan-Tyrannosaurus Rex
    Jean Jacque Machado-Dragon
    Jeff Curran-Big Frog**
    Marvin Castelle-Viper
    Nathan Orchard-Mountain Lion
    Lucas Leite-Coyote**
    Jeff Glover-Spider Monkey**
    Royler Gracie-Spider Monkey
    Eddie Cummings-Shark
    Geo Martinez-Anaconda
    Pedro Sauer-Cobra**
    Lucio Lagarto-Lizard**
    Marcelo Garcia-Triceratops
    Ralph Gracie-Pitbull**
    Arash Dibazar-Pitbull**
    Tom DeBlass-Gorilla**
    Robert Drysdale-Colt
    Ronaldo Souza-Crocodile**
    Romero Cavalcanti-Crocodile**
    Brendan Schaub-Brown bear (Update: dolphin)

***Subject to change***
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-20-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim. -Rickson Gracie

I am the candiru fish that swims up your dickhole, female urethral opening, or anus. I do not discriminate. -Jon Watkins
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 01-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim. -Rickson Gracie

I am the candiru fish that swims up your dickhole, female urethral opening, or anus. I do not discriminate. -Jon Watkins
    I believe it was Carlos Machado that said the first one. I saw him post that exact quote as his own recently on the Instagram.

Rickson mighta said that second one tho...

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    After the Cyborg match, I'm sorry, but Schaub is no Bear.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Trigo View Post
    I went off his nickname 'Big Brown' and assumed Brown Bear. Would you not say that he felt 'bearish' about that match?

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I believe it was Carlos Machado that said the first one. I saw him post that exact quote as his own recently on the Instagram.

Rickson mighta said that second one tho...
    I have always seen the quote attached to Rickson, but I don't know either guy personally so I guess it does not matter to me.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Trigo View Post
    I think Joe Rogan's analysis of Schaub was fair.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    I think Joe Rogan's analysis of Schaub was fair.
    As an MMA fighter, I agree. At the very least, it was nice to see Schaub tap Mitrione mere months after that Metamoris fight. No doubt the camp was good for him. Now that I recall he was dubbed as a dolphin on some podcast way back when.

Array

School
    Infinity Martial Arts
    I'm a sloth. I know it's already taken. But I like to slow it down. Take my time. Wait for it.

Array

School
    MMA Trondheim
    I'm the giant river otter. Because I'm fat, inconsistent, I have webbed paws, so my grip strength is bad. I have the intelligence of a 7 year old with severe brain damage, but sometimes I'm able to catch a small fish.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast