Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big guys and rubber guard

Do you guys know of any really flexibible light heavyweights or heavy weights who are exceptionally good at rubber guard?
    It just seems to me when you get that big their hamstrings are so big and tight that they cant manage to get that flexiblity.
    Ive seen cro cop for example do box splits (hardest version) so its clear heavyweights can get flexible (although theres more to rubber guard flexibility than splits)

Its pretty tough for example doing squats and deadlifts and keeping flexible, those exercises tighten your hamstrings up.

just my random thoughts out loud here.
    was thinking that you could smash teh quads as hard as youd like strength resistance wise and still be able to keep enough flexibility in hamstrings and hips for rubber guard.
    but then there would be a big strength imbalance.

anyway, back to topic. heavyweights good at rubber guard? i seen videos of eddie training frank mir.

Array

School
    Infinitemma Jiu Jitsu
    Big guys cam head kick so why not?

I think the problems with big guys and rubber guard will be much less flexibimity related and more "space" related. Due to larger legs and having a bigger guy in your guard, it makes some things a bit harder to secure. That said, Vinny Mahgalese (sorry for the last name slaughter) seems to incorporate some things from rubber guard, and looks like a champ doing it.

Sorry about the spelling. ^

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    At the moment I'm 200 - 205 lbs and I'm extremely flexible. My legs are pretty big too. I have to admit that I have trouble using rubber guard on guys with big shoulders. Maybe it's just my suck but when I'm rolling with a guy around 185 or under then there's plenty of space to work. Maybe it's just that the big guys are able to hold me down when I'm attempting it... *shrugs*

I'm 6'3'' at 278 lbs. rubber guard works fine for me from the flexibilty point. The problem is the size roll with some1 of my size there is no fucking way to get rubber guard because he's too big except if i go for a flying kungfu move and transition to jiu-claw. With some good really really good angle with requires a lot a readjustment there maybe a mission control-ny-chill dawg in but no way for IC or stuff.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Im 6'6 and 245, I started off tight, but the more reps I put in, I'm seeing better positioning. I'm hitting crackhead with know problem now and invisible crackhead. Im hitting these on a powerlifter that trains with me and he's huge across the shoulders. he's got huge legs from power squatting and he still tight but has manage to pull crackhead after I scream and yell at him not to give up and keep going. Just keep repping and it will come around, and to lars, try hipping out more before you pull rg. sometimes its just about finding the right angle. Neale Hoerle taught me that and it improved my rg 150%. Thanks Neale

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    I'm 6'1 and 245 lbs. and I've never really had a flexibilty issue, its usually a space issue if I have one but like frank said it's all about your angle. The right angle can fix most issues that occur with spacing issues.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix and Fabio Santos BJJ (Team Monstro)
    im 6 foot 260 and can work the rubber guard no problem i gained alot of weight my wrestling weight was 200 but i am even more flexible now then i was then and even then i was pretty damn flexible

Array

School
    Rōnin
    not to do with jujitsu but the only things i can't do is double lotus or put my foot behind my head without forcing it and i'm 6 foot 220.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast