Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Stomp

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions

New Stomp

Does anyone still use the New Stomp? I have been thinking that the Stomp is what makes the lockdown the most versatile form of half guard (In addition to all the other options the lockdown game offers while you are actually in lockdown) in my mind and in my game . I do use The Stomp and The Super Stomp and I have been thinking of adding the New Stomp into rotation of things to mess with on white and blue belts, but I don't see any mention of it on MTS. Did someone find a major flaw or was it just this thing Eddie was messing around with for a while?

Last edited by Jon Watkins; 03-15-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Maybe folks were squeezing their knees together too quickly, necessitating a super stomp -> mermaid?

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I am trying to visualize, but I do not see how someone could squeeze there knees together while one of their legs are extended unless you are referring to after the butterfly hook is achieved in which case I don't see much issue adjusting to half butterfly.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    I am trying to visualize, but I do not see how someone could squeeze there knees together while one of their legs are extended unless you are referring to after the butterfly hook is achieved in which case I don't see much issue adjusting to half butterfly.
    I was thinking the way Eddie was demonstrating it, maybe going too slow gives folks time to react. If the slowness was just for the demo, then yeah, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work too.

Lol....I guess I should have watched the rest of the video. He talks about squeezing the knees.
    Last edited by Daniel Siriphongs; 03-12-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Array

School
    RMNU
    Stomp is way easier from traditional half than lockdown. If I have a lockdown, I’m thinking dipset, either electric chair or old school

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    For me, the leg extension involved in lockdown is what makes The Stomp possible against a decent top game guy. I suppose the stomp is possible against a guy who is leery about playing the knee up passing game from traditional half guard, but if that is the case, I would much rather play 93 guard given the options there equal out to more transitions than lockdown. The thing that I find more versatile about lockdown is the control involved. Getting your knee up in lockdown involves breaking the lockdown and that is no easy task if your opponent is good at attaining and retaining lockdown.

Array

School
    RMNU
    I’m thinking, if I have a lockdown that’s huge. Not looking to go to butterfly. If I need the underhook, whip down or jaws of life

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I use those transitions also, but they have been low percentage for me on black belts who know what they are doing against lockdown. I may be missing some details since my 10th Planet application comes from watching tape, but pulling both those maneuvers off has been far more taxing on my body than the stomp if dude knows how to apply top pressure and knows how to pass. For me, getting the underhook has always been everything in half guard, but losing it in lockdown means I am just a stomp and an adjustment away from the pyramid.

Array

School
    RMNU
    I feel ya Jon. I do like to go from lockdown to 3/4 prison (if I have the underhook of course)
    Last edited by Will Thaxton; 03-15-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Lockdown > Superstomp > Cocoon is a staple of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu. It's even in the warm ups twice.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast