Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    We Are Ronin (Near Koblenz, Germany)

living in a simulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0KHiiTtt4w
    dang, someone want to copy his jj onto my flashdrive?

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    This Philip K. Dick speech from 77 always hits me with this familiar uneasy feeling.

Philip K Dick's speech is about a simulation that gets altered along the way, leaving the actors in it with some residual memories and/or deja-vu. Which is what he tells of having experienced.

Bostrom's theory - which Elon Musk is talking about in the first video - is different.

Bostrom says that: imagine first that humans don't wipe each other out or otherwise go extinct (nearby supernova, anyone) and keep developing technologically.

At some point in the future, humans would have enough computing power - say even something planet-sized - to simulate millions (billions) of human beings, each with thoughts, feelings, interactions.

So, if our descendants have that computing power, then they might be interested in running ancestor simulations.

If that is the case, then there could be millions (or more) of these simulations. if that is the case, then it is exceedingly likely that we are living in one of the simulations and not in "real" life.

Of course, there are a lot of ifs. Can consciousness be simulated? Would our descendants want to or even bother running ancestor simulations - what for? There are moral questions about running such simulations - each simulation generates tremendous suffering, starvation, murder, etc that is indistinguishable from reality for the participants.

I think these are interesting academic exercises, but unless we figure out how to "leave the Matrix", if there even is one, then we are stuck here (ie either in real life or in a simulation, can't tell), in which case, might as well make the best of it and be the best version of yourself.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I see nothing in your explanation that says these theories cannot intertwine. Plugging the Bostrom Theory into Valis seems quite possible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    I see nothing in your explanation that says these theories cannot intertwine. Plugging the Bostrom Theory into Valis seems quite possible to me.
    Maybe they can. I haven't really read a lot on these topics. Presumably, though, each Bostrom simulation runs independently - with no interaction between separate simulations.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    A simulation being altered does not rely on interaction with other simulations. If say you remember the children's book being spelled Berenstein Bears it is possible that you have at some point jumped into a parallel simulation, the simulation you are living has been altered, you read a knock off version of Berenstain Bears as a child, or perhaps you smoked too much pot throughout your live and your memory is skewed...or perhaps there is a variable I have not considered.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    IF we live in a simulation then what is outter space?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    From what I recall, most simulation theories propose the entire universe is a simulation.

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    From what I recall, most simulation theories propose the entire universe is a simulation.
    ridiculous extrapolation based upon the fact that all things have mathematical explanations.

just because the conformal perspective exists doesnt mean there's.....nevermind

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonehh View Post
    ridiculous extrapolation based upon the fact that all things have mathematical explanations.

just because the conformal perspective exists doesnt mean there's.....nevermind
    It is ridiculous to assume that the universe is a simulation if we are living in a simulation or it is ridiculous to think perhaps we are livng in a simulation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast