Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet - New Caney, TX

My lockdown can't hold this guy - any advice?

I've been training for about a year and learning to use the lockdown much more effectively, but I have one guy who has been a big problem. He is super strong and blasts through my lockdown by forcibly extending his hips. He doesn't even do the buttock compressor - dude just rocks right out of it.

To make it worse...I've shown HIM the lockdown and that dude can submit me with it! I've never encountered this with any other opponent. He's about 50 pounds heavier than me and also taller but I can't figure this one out. I figure there is probably a solution out there so wanted to bring it to you guys. Thanks very much. The resources here are great.

Rod

Array

School
    KravZone/Caio Terra BJJ
    I'd say, switch to RG or train your quads to hold the bastard

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Pyramid that sum bitch, Hod.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    I regularly roll with guys as big or bigger than what you say and can hold them in the Lockdown. Sometimes it’s easier because their legs are so thick. Whipping up and down, left and right helps a lot to disrupt their base. Keep your feet pointed back, not relaxed. Don’t let them flatten you out either. Get to your side asap. Or stomp and go to butterfly or full guard. Ankle sleeves help too for grip. Good luck!

If he's submitting you when you're in his lockdown, I'm pretty sure that's just a pain move. Reasonably sure there's no actual damage that would be caused by just gritting your teeth through it. Maybe a bruise at worst. YMMV

The other thing is - just avoid his lockdown altogether. As soon as you're in (or moving towards being in) his half-guard, just turn your target leg so that it is at 90 degrees to his legs - he will not be able to put lockdown on.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I feel like I have been pedaling these thoughts often, but get good at the stomp and familiarize yourself with Demian Maia's straight line theory. Perhaps the second suggestion seems vague and unrelated, but hopefully with some time on the mats you will see what I am saying.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    I feel like I have been pedaling these thoughts often, but get good at the stomp and familiarize yourself with Demian Maia's straight line theory. Perhaps the second suggestion seems vague and unrelated, but hopefully with some time on the mats you will see what I am saying.
    Eddie always says one’s stomp game has to be good. And I looked up straight line after the third time you mentioned it, lol! Good stuff!

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    Totally agree with the Jon. Some of my smaller guys are really, really good at utilizing the stomp to butterfly and then attacking the legs. Just being great at the stomp, alone, will make it very difficult to pass your guard. Remember, if something isn't working you must choose a different path and in this case the lockdown isn't working against this guy. I'd drill the shit out of getting the stomp, to butterfly, to attack the legs. Hope this helps.

Array

School
    10th Planet - New Caney, TX
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely work on those ideas and get back to you.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Very few techniques work on guys 50 pounds heavier than you and at your level or better.

It’s all about mastering the flying Kung fu. You should always be hunting for over hooks
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast