Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield

Is American BJJ being watered down?

I've heard stories about friend of friends who have gone and trained BJJ in Brazil and they all say the same thing. That they went and rolled with a blue belt or a purple belt and got completely shut down even though the person telling the story is considered to be a "good brown/black belt." I've heard similar stories and it makes me wonder what the Americans are doing differently.

Maybe we are more willing to promote someone sooner because of wanting to retain that person by rewarding them. Maybe our standards are just simply lower. Maybe the Brazilians hold back belts to make it seem like the lower belts are of higher quality. I'm not saying any of this is for sure but it's what I think about. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard stories like this and what y'all think of it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    hasnt been the case at the schools im visiting....dudes are tough as fuck out there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I am sure that it really depends upon which club you go to whether it is here in North America or in Brazil. I have never seen a weak 10thPlanet Brown or Black Belt though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Perry View Post
    I've heard stories about friend of friends who have gone and trained BJJ in Brazil and they all say the same thing. That they went and rolled with a blue belt or a purple belt and got completely shut down even though the person telling the story is considered to be a "good brown/black belt." I've heard similar stories and it makes me wonder what the Americans are doing differently.

Maybe we are more willing to promote someone sooner because of wanting to retain that person by rewarding them. Maybe our standards are just simply lower. Maybe the Brazilians hold back belts to make it seem like the lower belts are of higher quality. I'm not saying any of this is for sure but it's what I think about. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard stories like this and what y'all think of it.
    My experiences have been quite the opposite.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Bjj in the U.S. is stronger than ever and keeps getting stronger especially Subonly
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie